和老外聊天的地道口语第43期:昨晚我和她吵架了(在线收听

Andy: Hi Mary, how's it going?

Mary: well, last night I had a big argument with Ann.

A: terrible. It must be something serious. You two are such close friends.

M: now that I look back at it, it wawsn't that big a deal. I shouldn't have lost my temper.

A: really? What happened?

M: it's just we've been planning to go the beach for a while, and we decided we could both make it this weekend. Then out of nowhere she called me up, said her boyfriend had made plans and that she need to cancel the trip. I was so angry when she told me that I said she didn't care about our friendship at all.

A: that's pretty harsh.

M: I know, but I was so upset. I mean, come on! Does she have to do everything her boyfriend says?

A: you know she probably feels just as bad.

M: well, I think I was being a little selfish myself. I know they don't get to see each other very often.

A: well, in that case I guess maybe you can be more understanding. You shouldn't let a trivial thing like this stand in the way of your friendship. After all you can go to the beach anytime you want.

M: yeah, I'll call her later to patch things up.
玛丽,最近怎么样?
哎,昨晚我和安大吵了一架.
不会吧,有什么要紧的事儿吗?你们俩个可是很亲密的好朋友啊.
现在我回想起来,倒也没有什么大不了的,我不应该发脾气的.
真的? 怎么了?
就是我们俩一直计划着要去海边玩,决定这周末就去.谁知道她突然给我打电话,说她男朋友有安排,她不来了.我但是非常生气,就说她一点儿都不在乎我们的友谊.
这话是挺重的.
我知道,我但是太生气了.我觉得真没劲,难道她男朋友说什么她就要做什么吗?
你要知道她可能和你一样也很难过.
嗯,我觉得我可能有些自私,他们也不经常见面.
哦,要是那样的话,我觉得你或许应该多理解理解她,你不应该让这样一件小事妨碍你们的友谊,毕竟你们什么时候想去海滩都成.
是啊,我一会儿给她打电话和她和好.
Harsh: cruel, severe and unkind 残酷的;严酷的;严厉的
The punishment was harsh and unfair.
处罚很重而且不公平。
The minister received some harsh criticism.
部长受到了严厉的批评。
the harsh treatment of slaves
对奴隶的虐待
He regretted his harsh words.
他对自己的刻薄言辞感到后悔。
We had to face up to the harsh realities of life sooner or later.
我们迟早都得正视生活的严酷现实。

Selfish: caring only about yourself rather than about other people 自私的
selfish behaviour/demands
自私的行为╱要求
Do you think I'm being selfish by not letting her go?
你觉得我不让她走是自私吗?
What a selfish thing to do!
这样做,多么自私!
It was selfish of him to leave all the work to you.
他把所有的工作都推给你,真是自私。

Understanding: showing sympathy for other people's problems and being willing to forgive them when they do sth wrong 善解人意的;富有同情心的;体谅人的
She has very understanding parents.
她的父母对她非常宽容。

Trivial: not important or serious; not worth considering 不重要的;琐碎的;微不足道的 
a trivial detail/matter/problem
细枝末节;琐碎小事;无关紧要的问题
I know it sounds trivial, but I'm worried about it.
我知道这事听起来微不足道,但我还是放心不下。
I'll try to fix it ─ but it's not trivial(= it may be difficult to fix).
我要设法修好,不过也不是轻易就能修好的。

no big deal: used to say that sth is not important or not a problem 没什么大不了;无所谓;没关系
If I don't win it's no big deal.
我输了也没关系。

Lose one's temper:发脾气
She lost her temper with a customer and shouted at him.
她对一位顾客发了脾气,冲着人家大喊大叫。

Patch up: to try to stop quarrelling with sb and be friends again 调停;讲和
They've managed to patch up their differences.
他们终于弥合了分歧。
Have you tried patching things up with her?
你有没有试试跟她恢复和好?


 

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hlwltddky/102639.html