英语小达人 210 That's Your Worry(在线收听

   That's Your Worry

  那是你的事情
  Fresh out of business school, the young man answered a want ad for an accountant.
  一个年轻人刚从商业学校毕业,去一家小公司应聘做会计。
  Now he was being interviewed by a highly agitated, arrogant little man who ran a small business that he had started from scratch.
  现在他正在被一个焦躁而傲慢的小个子男人面试,这间公司就是他刚刚白手起家办起来的。
  "I need someone with an accounting degree," the man said. "But mainly, I'm looking for someone to do my worrying for me."
  “我需要一个有会计学学位的人,”小个子男人说,“可是,最重要的是,我要找的是能为我分忧的人。”
  "How's that?" the would-be accountant asked.
  “那是什么意思?”年轻人问道。
  "i worry about a lot of things," the man said. "But I don't want to have to worry about money. Your job will be to take all the money worries off my back."
  “我要操心很多事情,”那人说,“但是我不想再为钱的事情操心了,你的工作就是替我分担这些对钱的操心。”
  "I see," the accountant said. "And how much will my position pay?"
  “我明白了,”年轻人说,“那么我的工资是多少?”
  "I'll start you at eighty five thousand," responded the man decisively.
  “你的起薪是8500块,”那人语气肯定地说。
  "Eighty five thousand dollars!" the accountant exclaimed. "How can such a small business afford a sum like that?"
  “8500元!”年轻人大声说,“这样一个小公司怎么能付得起这样高的工资?”
  "That," the man said, "is your first worry. Now get to work!"
  那人说:“这就是你首先要操心的事。现在开始工作吧!”
  重点讲解:
  1. from scratch
  从零开始;从头做起;白手起家;
  eg. He lost all his money and had to start again completely from scratch.
  他损失了所有的钱,只好再从头做起。
  eg. One can hardly believe that this paper mill was started from scratch only a few years ago.
  很难相信这个造纸厂仅仅是在几年前白手起家办起来的。
  eg. There were so many spelling mistakes, I had to write the letter out again from scratch.
  这封信的拼写错误太多,我得重写一遍。
  2. would-be
  adj. 想要成为…的;
  eg. Follow after truth if you would be a man.
  做一个男子汉就要追求真理。
  eg. He said I would be a lawyer and it has come true.
  他说我会成为一名律师,现在已经实现了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/233798.html