英语小达人 213 Me vs. My Boss(在线收听

   Me vs. My Boss

  我和我的老板
  When I Take a long time--I am slow.
  我用了很长时间——我太慢。
  When my boss takes a long time--He is thorough.
  我老板用了很长时间——他工作仔细。
  When I don't do it--I am lazy.
  我不做——懒。
  When my boss doesn't do it--He is too busy.
  我老板不做——他太忙。
  When I do something without being told--I am trying to be smart or overstepping my authority.
  我做了没要求我做的事情——我在耍小聪明或是越权。
  When my boss does the same--That is initiative.
  我老板做了没要求他做的事情——他是积极上进。
  When I please my boss--I am apple-polishing.
  我讨好我的老板时——我是在拍马屁。
  When my boss pleases his boss--He's cooperating.
  我老板讨好他的老板时……他是在配合工作。
  When I do good--My boss never remembers.
  我做得好的——我老板从来不记得。
  When I do wrong--He never forgets.
  我做错了的……我老板从来不会忘记。
  When I make a mistake--I'm an idiot.
  我犯了错误……我是个白痴。
  When my boss makes a mistake--He's only human.
  我老板犯了错误——他也是人嘛。
  When I take a stand--I'm being bullheaded.
  当我表明立场时……我在犯傻。
  When my boss does it--He's being firm.
  我老板这样做时……他是很沉稳。
  When I overlook a rule of etiquette--I'm being rude.
  当我忽视了某些规矩时——我很无礼。
  When my boss skips a few rules--He's being original.
  当我老板不遵从某些规则时——他是在创新。
  When I am out of the office--I'm wandering around.
  我不在公司时——我就是在闲逛。
  When my boss is out of the office--He's on business.
  我老板不在公司时——他是在办公事。
  When I am on a day off sick--I'm always sick.
  我请一天病假——我总是生病。
  When my boss is a day off sick--He must be very ill.
  我老板请一天病假——他一定病得不轻。
  When I apply for leave--I must be going for an interview.
  我请假——我一定去面试了。
  When my boss applies for leave--It's because he's overworked.
  我老板请假——因为他工作过度。
  重点讲解:
  1. apple-polish
  拍马屁;巴结;
  eg. In order to get the promotion, she kept apple-polishing the manager.
  为了升迁,她一直在拍经理的马屁。
  eg. He hopes to pass the exam by apple-polishing the teacher.
  他拍老师的马屁以求通过考试。
  2. take a stand
  表明立场;明确立场;决定态度;
  eg. He thought people should take a stand on such an issue.
  他认为人们应该对这样一个问题表明立场。
  eg. So few people ever take a stand for what they believe in.
  几乎没有人敢于维护自己的主张。
  3. on business
  办事;出差;办公事;
  eg. I am here on business as opposed to a holiday.
  我在这里是办公事而不是度假。
  eg. I generally try to take in a show when I'm in New York on business.
  我到纽约公干时常顺便看场演出。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/233801.html