赖世雄旅游观光英语通 第34期:海牙(在线收听

   The Hague

  海牙
  The next city on Kathy and Evan's itinerary is The Hague.
  凯西和艾凡行程上的下一个城市是海牙。
  E:After the hustle and bustle of Rotterdam, we can relax here in The Hague.
  艾凡:在经历喧嚣扰攘的鹿特丹之后,我们可以在海牙这里放松一下了。
  K:I'm not very familiar with this city.
  凯西:我对这个城市不是很熟悉。
  E:Well, it's the third largest city in the Netherlands. It's also a kind of international capital.
  艾凡:它是荷兰的第三大城,也是一个国际性的首都。
  K:What do you mean?
  凯西:你这么说是什么意思呢?
  E:Well, the World Court is here, and the city has always been an international center, playing a leading role in law and trade in Europe and, today, for the world.
  艾凡:嗯,(联合国)国际法庭在这儿,而且这个城市一直是个国际中心,在欧洲以及当今世界的法律和贸易上都扮演领导的角色。
  K:Gee, I didn't know that.
  凯西:乖乖,我从没听过这件事。
  E:You're not a diplomat! You're an artist, remember?
  艾凡:你不是外交官!你是艺术家,记得吗?
  K:Very funny. Hey! What's that beautiful old castle there?
  凯西:好好笑哟(反讽语)。嘿!那边那座美丽的古堡是什么呢?
  E:That's the center of this city. It was built by an early king here in the 13th century. Lots of old buildings were built around it, not to mention man-made canals and lakes. That's how the city got started.
  艾凡:那是这个城市的中心点。古堡于十三世纪初由本地一位国王建造而成。许多古老的建筑物也环绕它的四周而建,更不用说是人造运河和湖泊了。这个城市就是这样开始的。
  K:Fascinating. Er, what can we do here?
  凯西:非常迷人的历史。呃,在这里我们能做什么?
  E:Are you kidding? There are more than a dozen museums, including a couple for both historic and contemporary art, and lots of theaters. Or tomorrow we can go to the beach.
  艾凡:你在开玩笑吗?这里有十几间博物馆,其中包括了几个兼具历代及当代艺术的博物馆,还有不少的剧院。或许明天我们可以去海滩。
  K:I'd love to see the North Sea!
  凯西:我很想去看看北海!
  单词短语精讲:
  1. The Hague 海牙(为荷兰土室和国际法庭的所在地)
  2. itinerary 行程表,旅行路线
  例:The travel agent prepared, Miss Collin'、itinemnv and ,laced it with her tickets and },ass},ont.
  (旅行社替科林斯小姐准备厂旅行路线并把它和她的机票和护照放在 一起。)
  3. the hustle and bustle of...喧嚣扰攘的……
  例:The hustle and bustle of big cities is not foY evervone;many people feel tined just visiting them.
  (大都市的喧嚣扰攘并不适合每个人,许多人仅仅游览城市就会觉得
  很疲倦。)
  4. be familiar with…对……熟悉
  familiar .熟悉的
  例:I've visited Bangkok so many times that I' m now familiar with it.
  (我已经去过曼谷这么多次,所以现在我对那里很熟厂。)
  5.capital 首都
  6.leading 领导的,重要的
  7. diplomat 外交官
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/lsxyyt/234704.html