英语小达人 251 Grounds for Divorce(在线收听

   Grounds for Divorce

  离婚的理由
  A woman goes into her lawyer's office requesting a divorce.
  一个女人去找律师要求离婚。
  He is taking all of her background information and asks her, "Do you have grounds for a divorce?"
  他了解了相关资料后,问她:“你要求离婚有什么理由?”
  To which she replies, "Well, we have three acres."
  她答:“我们有3英亩。”
  "No, ma'am. What I mean is, does he beat you?" asks the attorney.
  “夫人,我的意思是,他打你吗?”
  "No, I get up around 6:30 and he sleeps until 7:00," she responds.
  “不,我大概6点半起床,而他睡到7点,”她说。
  Feeling a little frustrated the attorney asks, "Lady, tell me, do you have a grudge?"
  律师有点儿泄气,又问:“女士,请告诉我,你是否怀有积怨?”
  Looking very confident she states, "No, we have a carport."
  女人很确定地说:“不,我们有车棚。”
  At this point the lawyer has lost his patience and asks, "Look, Lady. Why the heck do you want a divorce?"
  律师终于失去耐心了,他直截了当地问:“好吧,女士。你到底为什么要离婚?”
  "Because he can't hold an intelligent conversation!"
  “因为没法理智地和他说话!”
  重点讲解:
  1. grounds for
  理由;根据;
  eg. In the interview he gave some grounds for optimism.
  他接受采访时阐述了持乐观态度的理由。
  eg. They have reasonable grounds for suspicion.
  他们有充分的根据产生怀疑。
  2. lose patience/lose one's patience
  失去耐心;发脾气;
  eg. As the minutes ticked away they to lose patience.
  随着时间一分一分的过去,他们开始变得不耐烦了。
  eg. If you don't stop making that noise I'm going to lose my patience.
  你要再不停止发出噪音,我可要火了。
  3. why the heck
  (尤在迷惑或恼怒时用于疑问句中表示强调)到底,究竟;
  eg. Why the heck are you standing here?
  你站在这里做什么?
  eg. Ask yourself this: If you don’t like who you really are, why the heck should I like you?
  问问自己:如果你自己都不喜欢真实的自己,那别人怎么会喜欢你呢?
  4. hold a conversation
  谈话;
  eg. It's impossible to hold a conversation with all this noise.
  噪音这么大,根本没法进行交谈。
  eg. It remains to be seen whether I would ever again be able to hold a conversation with John.
  我能否和约翰再次进行谈话现在还不清楚。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/238686.html