公众人物毕业演讲第38期:比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(19)(在线收听

   So let your heart break.

  让自己沉浸于心碎
  It will change what you do with your optimism.
  这会改变你们对乐观的理解
  On a trip to South Asia,
  有一次去南亚
  I met a desperately poor Indian woman who had two children
  我碰到了一位赤贫的印度女性 她有两个孩子
  and she begged me to take them home with me.
  她请求我把这两个孩子带回去领养
  And when I begged her for her forgiveness she said,
  在我请她原谅我的无能为力时 她说
  well, then please, just take one of them.
  那请你领养其中一个孩子行吗
  On another trip to south Los Angeles,
  还有一次我去南洛杉矶
  I met with a group of the students from a tough neighborhood.
  见了一群来自艰苦社区的学生
  A young girl said to me,
  一个小女孩跟我说
  do you ever feel like we are the kids
  你有没有觉得我们这些孩子
  whose parents shirked their responsibilities
  都被父母放置不理
  and we are just the leftovers?
  我们只不过是多余的东西
  These women broke my heart.
  这些女性让我感到心碎
  And they still do.
  现在仍然如此
  And the empathy intensifies if I admit to myself, that could be me.
  如果想想"这也可能是我" 同情心便会越发强烈
  When I talk with the mothers I meet during my travels,
  我在其它地方碰到过很多母亲
  there's no difference between what we want for our children.
  我们想为子女提供的东西其实并没有太大差别
  The only difference is our ability to provide it to our children.
  唯一差别在于我们为子女提供这些东西的能力
  So what accounts for that difference?
  这种差异是如何造成的
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/gzrwyj/290577.html