纸牌屋第一季 第62期:我们已经没退路(在线收听

  We're almost a month into the strike,
  罢工已持续近一个月
  and we've got millions of kids stuck home from school.
  无数孩子待在家里不能上学
  Do you blame the White House or Congress?
  你会不会责怪白宫或国会
  I personally have very little sympathy for the teachers.
  我个人并不同情那些老师
  We're over three weeks into this strike.
  罢工已持续超过三周
  It's costing the country billions of dollars,
  国家损失了几十亿美元
  纸牌屋第一季.jpg
  and instead of offering solutions
  他们不提供解决方案,而是...
  There's a big difference between
  表明立场和坐视不理
  taking a stand and sitting on your hands.
  是两种截然不同的态度
  I don't know whether to call it cowardice...
  我不知道这叫不叫懦弱
  It's his agenda,
  这是他的议程
  and the problem is that he stole sound, conservative ideas.
  问题在于他剽窃了合理的保守党思想
  The only smart thing he's done
  他唯一明智的决定
  is lift his platform from the republican platform.
  是抄袭了共和党纲领
  I admit it, Linda. This got away from me.
  我承认,琳达,我没料到会这样
  But we can't turn back time. We have to hold our ground.
  但时间不能倒转,我们必须坚守阵地
  While our approval ratings continue to nosedive?
  不管我们的支持率持续下滑吗
  Spinella and I worked together
  斯比奈拉和我多年来
  for years on dozens of laborrelated bills.
  合作完成了很多跟劳工相关的法案
  I thought he'd be reasonable. You were wrong about that.
  我以为他会讲理,你弄错了
  Well, I didn't think he'd be insane enough to go on strike,
  我没想到他会疯狂到发起罢工
  and I didn't think the strike would last this long.
  也没想到罢工会持续那么久
  So you've been wrong twice about this.
  那你就错了两次
  Why should I believe you're right about holding out?
  我为什么要相信你该坚守阵地
  We threatened collective bargaining
  我们为了业绩考量
  in order to get performance standards and charter funding.
  和特许学校拨款而要挟劳资谈判
  That's the deal that we made. We took that stand.
  这是我们的条件,我们的立场
  We lay down now, we lose it all.
  我们现在妥协,就会一无所有
  There'll be no reform, just an empty bill.
  没有改革,只有一纸空文
  I understand the logic, Frank,
  这道理我明白,弗兰克
  but we're in damage control now.
  但我们现在要控制损失
  We can't close one wound by opening another.
  我们不能拆东墙补西墙
  But we're the democrats.
  但我们是民主党
  We're the ones who are supposed to be defending the teachers.
  我们理应维护教师
  But you can't have it both ways, Linda.
  可你不能两全其美,琳达
  You can't have the reform you want
  你不能又要改革
  and keep the teachers happy at the same time.
  同时又让教师满意
  You knew that when we started.
  这你一开始就知道
  Okay, then if we have to choose,
  好,如果我们要选择
  we choose to keep the teachers happy.
  我们选择让教师满意
  That is a mistake, Linda. We've already crossed the rubicon.
  这样不对,琳达,我们已经没退路了
  I'm telling you this the president wants to change the bill.
  实话跟你说,总统想修改法案
  We should've done it three weeks ago. We didn't.
  三周前就该这么做,我们没有
  So you have to do it now.
  所以你现在必须改
  Give me more time, Linda, please.
  再给我点时间,琳达,拜托
  If I can break this strike
  如果我能结束罢工
  and get everything we want in this bill,
  并保留法案的全部条款
  can we agree that's preferable to folding?
  你能不能说这比认输更好
  Of course. If we can count on that
  当然,如果这真能做到...
  Then count on me for just one more week.
  那就再信我一星期
  If the strike isn't over by then, I'll change the bill.
  如果到时罢工还没结束,我就改法案
  Frank No. One more week. That's all.
  弗兰克,不,一星期,仅此而已
  This is the worst possible position to be in.
  这是最糟的处境
  If I water down the bill,
  如果我修改法案
  the president will still see me as a failure.
  总统还是认为我失败了
  If the strike doesn't end in a week,
  如果罢工一周内不结束
  I forced myself into a corner.
  我等于把自己逼到墙角
  Only total victory will put me back in his good graces.
  只有绝对的胜利才能让我重获他的青睐
  The alternative is exile,
  否则就是出局
  which would mean the last five months were for nothing.
  那么过去五个月都白费了
  I cannot abide falling back to square one.
  我绝不能跌回原地
  Does congressman need me, ma'am?
  议员找我吗,太太
  No. I just was wondering if you wanted a cup of coffee.
  不是,我只是想问你要不要来杯咖啡
  I just brewed a fresh pot.
  我刚烧好一壶
  I'm good, ma'am. But thanks. Are you sure?
  不用了,太太,谢谢,你确定
  My shift's done in a couple hours. I'll be fine.
  再过几小时就换班了,我没事
  No. Come on. Stretch your legs.
  进来吧,放松一下
  I won't take no for an answer.
  别想拒绝我
  What did you do before you joined the leadership detail?
  你在做议员保镖前是干什么的
  I was a cop here in DC.
  我是华盛顿的警察
  Before that, I was in the Marines, ma'am.
  再之前,在海军陆战队,太太
  Thank you. Did you serve overseas?
  谢谢,你在国外服过役吗
  I did, ma'am. Bahrain, then Afghanistan.
  是的,太太,巴林,还有阿富汗
  Served most of my second tour in the Korangal Valley.
  第二次驻派海外基本是在可兰山谷
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/zpwdyj/zpwdy/309949.html