世界小史 第51期:楔形文字(在线收听

 How do you do it?

这件事你怎么做?
Why, every schoolchild knows the answer, You spell out the words.
为什么,每个小学生都知道答案,你拼写出单词。
Yes, all right, but what exactly do you mean?
对,但你到底是什么意思?
Well, there's an I, which makes "I",
是的,这里有一个I, 就组成了“I”,
and then a "C" and an "A" and an "N",
然后有一个C,一个A和一个N,
which spells "can" – and so on, and with 26 letters you can write anything down.
拼起来就是“can”——用26个字母就可以把一切都记下来了。
Anything?
一切?
Yes, anything. In any language? Just about.
是的,一切。在所有的语言中?本来就是的。
Isn't that amazing?
这不是神奇得很吗?
With 26 simple signs, each no more than a couple of squiggles,
用26个简单的符号,每个符号只有几个笔画,
you can write down anything you like, be it wise or silly, angelic or wicked.
你就能把一切记下来,不管聪明的话和蠢笨的话,还是神圣的事和恶劣的事
It wasn't anything like as easy for the ancient Egyptians with their hieroglyphs.
古埃及人的象形文字可没有这么简单。
Nor was it for the people who used the cuneiform script,
对于使用楔形文字的人们也没有这么简单,
for they kept on inventing new signs that didn't stand for just single letter sounds, but for whole syllables or more.
因为他们总是发明新的符号,它们不表示字母,而是至少表示完整的音节。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/sjxs/362264.html