创业成功人士访谈录 第5期:谷歌CTO谢尔盖布林(5)(在线收听

   In a technical sense, what does Linux lack?

  从技术角度分析,什么是Linux系统所没有的?
  What does it not provide?
  有什么是它所不能提供的?
  The 64-bit file system,which I know they are working on.
  64位文件系统。我知道他们正在开发。
  It’s slowly coming around.
  不久就会问世。
  创业成功人士英语访谈 谷歌技术总裁谢尔盖.布林
  I think there are still occasionally some stability issues.
  我觉得,偶尔还是会有一些稳定性方面的问题。
  I’m not saying Linux is unique in that respect, but you definitely want to have reliability
  我并不是说Linux在这一方面特立独行,但是人们也很看重可靠性。
  There are some issues dealing with higher memory systems.
  有一些处理高端记忆系统的问题。
  If you get to 2GB, and you try to push it past that, we encounter various problems.
  如果达到2G,并且还想超越的话,我们会遇到各种问题。
  I know we’ve had some trouble with the network stack when we really push it hard.
  我知道驱动力过大的时候,我们遇到过一些网络问题。
  In terms of having lost most connections from lots of different machines.
  与很多不同的机器失去了联系。
  Well, you’re getting quite a few hits per day, aren’t you?
  嗯,你们现在每天的点击率都非常高,不是吗?
  Yes, we are.
  是的,非常高。
  We do about ten millions searches per day at Google.com.
  谷歌网站每天接受大约1000万次的搜索。
  And another six million or so from OEM customers.
  同时,其他签约客户带来大约600万次的点击率。
  So,we get a lot of hits.
  因此,我们的点击率很高。
  And when we crawl the Web, we crawl it pretty quickly, which can really stress the system.
  而当我们检索网页的时候,速度很快,这也给系统带来了很大压力。
  Has your system been down entirely?
  你们的系统有过完全瘫痪的时候吗?
  No, but we certainly have individual computers go down.
  没有,但是我们遇到过完全瘫痪的个人电脑。
  Our system has a lot of redundancy built into it, so the users don’t see it from the outside.
  我们的系统存在许多备用空间,用户从外表是看不出来的。
  I‘ve read that you have developed your own network installation tools...
  我听说你们开发了自己的网络安装工具?
  Yeah. We’ve re-used various components of things that people have built;
  是的。我们重新利用了他人已经创造的很多元素;
  we’ve had to now re-do them quite a bit ourselves.
  我们要做的是把它们重新做成属于我们自己的东西。
  We have 5,000 computers now, and that’s actually a fair amount of work to install.
  我们现在有5000台计算机,而实际上有大量的安装工作要做。
  So we have our own network install system--where we can bring up 80 computers at a time.
  因此,我们有自己的网络安装系统——一次可以安装多达80台电脑。
  And we have our own testing software and monitoring tools to keep track of what the computers are doing, what state they’re in.
  同时我们也有自己的检测软件和监测工具,以了解计算机的工作进程和状态。
  So, we’ve had to do a fair amount of development.
  因此,我们需要进行一系列的开发工作。
  Of the 5,000 computers used by Google, can you roughly breakdown what they are used for,
  能给我们讲一下谷歌5000台计算机的具体分工吗?
  i.e., 3000 perform searches, 1000 do OEMs, 500 do web crawling, etc.?
  比如,其中3000台做搜索,1000台用于对外签约授权,500台做网页检查等等?
  Without giving specific numbers,
  先不谈具体数字,
  we can say approximately 80% of the machines are used for performing searches (google.com and partners);
  我们大约80%的机器用于搜索(谷歌主页与合作网站);
  about 10% of the machines are used for Research and Development,
  大约10%用于研发,
  and another 10% of the machines are used for preproduction (crawling and indexing the web).
  另外的10%用于试生产(网页检测和索引)。
  Are the tools worth releasing to the Open Source community?
  这些工具值得向开源社区发布吗?
  That’s an interesting question.
  这个问题很有趣。
  I mean, I don’t know of too many installations that are of comparable size to ours,
  我是说,我知道的安装程序里,没有几个可以和我们的产品相提并论的,
  but it certainly is, now that you mention it, something we would consider.
  但是当然,现在你提到的有些东西是我们应该考虑的问题。
  I don’t think that any of them are robust enough or clean enough at this point and time.
  我认为此时此刻没有什么工具是足够强大或是从未被使用过的。
  But, I think we can get them to that state if other people would take over the maintenance and contribute.
  但是,如果有其他人愿意接管维护工作并作出贡献,我们愿意提供帮助。
  I just don’t think that there are too many people who would end up using them.
  我只是认为最后不会有多少人会使用它们。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400439.html