创业成功人士访谈录 第106期:我们不需要花哨的外观(2)(在线收听

   Later on in 1995, I remembered that I was a programmer

  1995年后期,我想起我是个程序员,
  and that I could turn code into HTML, so i would be able to do instant publishing.
  可以写超文字标记语言,我可以将这些列表即时发表,
  It suddenly occurred to me that I could write code and that I could make Craigslist into a Web site
  忽然间我觉得我可以编写一些代码,可以把Craigslist做成一个网站,
  where the code would do most of the work for me.
  在网站上代码可以替我做大多数工作。
  Was making the move from the listserve to a Web site a big transition for you?
  从列表服务到网站是一个大转变吗?
  Not much at first.
  一开始不是。
  People started using the site, but the mailing list was still the big deal then for users.
  人们开始使用这个网站,但那个时候,大量的人们在使用邮件列表,
  In a sense, back then it was not much different than it is now.
  从某种意义上讲,在那个时候,二者之间的差别不像现在那么大。
  At that point, the mailing list was still more popular than the Web site, but I have no idea when the crossover occurred.
  那时邮件列表仍然要比网站流行,我也不知道真正的转换是从什么时候开始的,
  I’m guessing in the early 2000s.
  我猜想大约是2000年初。
  You began this on a whim.
  你心血来潮做这个,
  Was leaving your job at Schwab a risky thing or are you a person who doesn’t have such fears?
  那么离开嘉信理财是一次冒险吗?或者你是不是一个对此并不畏惧的人?
  The first three years of Craigslist I ran this by myself and it somehow built critical mass.
  头三年我自己做,那时是最关键的时刻,
  At the end of 1997, there were three milestones hit:
  1997年底,遇到三个里程碑,
  hitting a million page views a month; then the folks from Microsoft Sidewalk wanted to run banner ads on the site.
  第一,月浏览量超过100万;第二,微软想在Craigslist 上放条幅广告,
  And at market rates, that would be all the money I needed to live.
  从市场的角度,那些钱正好可以帮助我发展下去,
  So I figured, hey I’m an overpaid programmer, I don’t need the money,
  但转念一想,我写程序赚得已经不少了,我自己并不缺钱,
  and many banner ads are pretty dumb, so I decided not to run them.
  而且那时的条幅广告都是无声的,于是我决定不放广告;
  And the third milestone, [occurred when] a few people approached me about running Craigslist on a volunteer basis.
  第三个里程碑是,几个人找到我,要义务加入到Craigslist的运营中,
  I tried that in 1998,where we would all work together on a volunteer basis.
  我1998年尝试那样做,那时我们都是义务去做,
  We tried it,but it failed.Things just didn’t get done.
  我们努力了,但失败了,那样行不通。
  It just started slowly dying.
  Craigslist开始露出衰亡的迹象。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400979.html