美国语文第三册 第5期:建造城堡(2)(在线收听

   LESSON 4 第4课

  anger  生气
  castle  城堡
  foundation  基金会
  rattling  活泼的
  tower 塔
  dismay  沮丧
  sofa  沙发
  interested  感兴趣
  passion  激情
  pile 桩
  mimic  模型
  nodded  点头
  exclaimed  声明
  already  已经
  spilled 泄露
  CASTLE-BUILDING 建造城堡
  "O pussy!" cried Herbert, in a voice of anger and dismay,as the blockhouse he was building fell in sudden ruin.  赫伯特正在建造的城堡突然倒塌了,他带着愤怒和沮丧叫喊道:“哇,可恶的小猫!”
  The playful cat had rubbed against his mimic castle, and tower and wall went rattling down upon the floor. 调皮的小猫咪恰巧从他的模型城堡边窜过去。
  Herbert took up one of the blocks and threw it fiercely atpussy.  赫伯特拿起一块积木,拼命地扔向那只小猫。
  Happily, it passed over her and did no harm.  积木从它身边擦肩而过,但并没有伤到他。
  His hand was reaching for another block, when his little sister Hetty sprang toward the cat, and caught her up. 他又去拿另一块积木,这时,小妹妹海蒂跑过来,抱起了小猫咪。
  "No, no, no!" said she, "you sha'n't hurt pussy! She didn't mean to do it!" “不,不要,别这样!”她说,“你不能伤害小猫咪!它不是有意的!”
  Herbert's passion was over quickly, and, sitting down upon the floor, he covered his face with his hands, and began to cry. 赫伯特顿时怒火中烧,坐在地板上,双手捂住小脸哭了起来。
  "What a baby!" said Joe, his elder brother, who was reading on the sofa. 正坐在沙发上看书的哥哥乔开腔了:“真是个小孩子!”
  Crying over spilled milk does no good.Build it up again. 哭也没用呀,再建一次就行了。
  "No, I won't," said Herbert, and he went on crying. 赫伯特一边哭着,一边说:“我才不干呢。”
  "What's all the trouble here?" exclaimed papa, as he opened the door and came in. 爸爸开门走进来,问道:“这里发生什么事了?”
  "Pussy just rubbed against Herbert's castle, and it fell down,"answered Hetty.  海蒂抢先回答:“小猫咪从赫伯特建造的城堡边经过,把它弄垮了。”
  But she didn't mean to do it; she didn't know it would fall, did she, papa? 但是,它也不是有意的。它根本不知道城堡会倒掉,是吗,爸爸?
  Why, no! And is that all the trouble? 当然不知道了!这就是你们的麻烦?
  "Herbert!" his papa called, and held out his hands."Come."  爸爸一边伸出双手,一边说:“赫伯特,过来。”
  The little boy got up from the floor, and came slowly,his eyes full of tears, and stood by his father. 小男孩从地板上起来,慢慢走过去,眼里噙着泪水,站在爸爸身边。
  "There is a better way than this, my boy," said papa.  爸爸说:“我的孩子,还有一个好办法解决这个问题,”
  If you had taken that way, your heart would have been light already.  如果你能照做的话,心里就会好受些。
  I should have heard you singing over your blocks instead of crying. Shall I show you that way? 我应该听到你为积木歌唱,而不是为它哭泣。让我来教你吗?
  Herbert nodded his head, and papa sat down on the floor by the pile of blocks,  赫伯特点了点头,爸爸坐在积木旁边的地板上,
  with his little son by his side, and began to lay the foundation for a new castle. 小儿子依偎在他身边,开始为一座新城堡奠基。LESSON 5 第5课
  string  线
  paper  纸
  eagerly  急切地
  dashed  冲
  case 情况
  crash  崩溃
  dishes  菜
  retorted  反驳
  sentence  句子
  tray 托盘
  CASTLE-BUILDING (CONCLUDED) 建造城堡(结束篇)
  Soon, Herbert was as much interested in castle-building ashe had been a little while before.  很快,赫伯特就对新建的城堡产生了更浓厚的兴趣。
  He began to sing over his work. All his trouble was gone. 而且开始为自己的工作欢呼了。他所有的问题都解决了。
  "This is a great deal better than crying, isn't it?" said papa. “这样可比无谓的哭泣好多了,难道不是吗?”爸爸说。
  "Crying for what?" asked Herbert, forgetting his grief of a few minutes before. “为什么要哭呀?”赫伯特问道,他已经忘记了刚才的伤痛。
  Because pussy knocked your castle over. 因为小猫碰倒了你的城堡呀。
  "Oh!" A shadow flitted across his face, but was gone in amoment, and he went on building as eagerly as ever. “噢!”一丝阴影掠过他的面庞,但很快就消失了,他继续建筑自己的城堡。
  "I told him not to cry over spilled milk," said Joe, looking down from his place on the sofa. “我告诉过他,别为已经出现的失败而沮丧。”乔一边说着,一边坐在沙发上向这边观望。
  "I wonder if you didn't cry when your kite string broke,"retorted Herbert. 赫伯特反驳道:“我想知道,如果你的风筝线断了,你是否真的不哭。”
  "Losing a kite is quite another thing," answered Joe, a little dashed. “风筝丢了就是另一回事了,”乔回答道,情绪有点激动。
  The kite was gone forever; but your blocks were as good as before, and you had only to build again. 风筝若没了,就永远也找不回来了。但是你的积木却完好如初,只需重新搭一座新的城堡就好了。
  "I don't see," said papa, "that crying was of any more use in your case then in Herbert's. "  爸爸说:“依我看,无论你,还是赫伯特,在这种情况下都不应该哭,一味地哭泣并没有用。”
  Sticks and paper are easily found, and you had only to go to work and make another kite. 棍棒和纸也很容易找到,你只要重新做一个风筝就好了。
  Joe looked down at his book, and went on reading.  乔低头看了看自己的书,不再出声了。
  By this time the castle was finished. 这时,一座新的城堡已经建好了。
  "It is ever so much nicer than the one pussy knocked down," said Hetty.  海蒂说:“它甚至比刚才那座被猫咪撞倒的城堡还好看。”
  And so thought Herbert, as he looked at it proudly from all sides. 赫伯特也这样认为,因为无论从哪一方面,他都为此感到骄傲。
  If pussy knocks that down, I'll 要是小猫再把它撞倒了,我就……
  "Build it up again," said papa, finishing the sentence for his little boy. “重新再搭一座。”爸爸赶紧接过了他的话茬。
  "But, papa, pussy must not knock my castles down. I can't have it," spoke out Herbert, knitting his forehead. “可是,爸爸,猫咪千万不能再把我的城堡撞倒了,我可受不了。”赫伯特皱着眉头,大喊道。
  You must watch her, then.  那么,你自己要守护好它。
  Little boys, as well as grown up people, have to be often on their guard.  无论小孩子,还是长大以后,都要做好自己的守护工作。
  If you go into the street, you have to look out for the carriages, so as not to be run over, and you have to keep out of people's way. 如果你在大街上行走,一定要留心马车,不能被它撞倒,而且你还要留心别挡住其他人的路。
  In the house, if you go about heedlessly, you will be very apt to run against some one.  即使在房子里,如果你走路不小心,也会撞倒什么东西。
  I have seen a careless child dash suddenly into a room just as a servant was leaving it with atray of dishes in her hands.  我就曾经亲眼见过,在仆人举着一叠托盘离开时,一个粗心大意的小孩子猛然冲进屋里。
  A crash followed. 不可避免地,盘子碎了一地。
  "It was I, wasn't it?" said Hetty. “这不正是我吗?“海蒂不好意思地说。
  Yes, I believe it was, and I hope it will never happen again. 是的,我也这么认为,希望以后再也不要发生同样的事情。
  Papa now left the room, saying, "I don't want any more of this crying over spilled milk, as Joe says. " “就像乔说得那样,我也不希望再听到为失败而哭泣的声音了。”爸爸一边说着,一边离开了房间
  If your castles get knocked down, build them up again. 如果你的城堡倒掉了,再建一次就好了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d3c/430753.html