美国语文第五册 第283期:微小的胜利(7)(在线收听

   And some people will pity you in a way you will not like: and some may even laugh at you. 你总会感到内心些许压抑,或者某种耻辱。有人怜悯你,你却不乐意那种直白的表达方式,更有人索性嘲笑你。

  “O mamma!” exclaimed Agnes. “Well, and what else?” said Hugh. “噢,妈妈,别说了!”艾格尼丝叫喊。“好了,还有什么?”休说。
  Sooner or later you will have to follow some way of life determined by this accident instead of one that you would have liked better. 或迟或早,你都得遵循某种生活方式,这种方式当然由本身局限决定,而不是你内心指望的更好方式。
  Well, what else? I must ask you, now. I can think of nothing more; and I hope there is not much else; 好的,还有吗?现在,我来问你,我想不出还有什么;我但愿没有更多的需要提醒;
  for, indeed, I think here is quite enough for a boy, or anyone else, to bear. 因为,的确,我这里所说的,对一个男孩或其他任何孩子,需要承受的已经足够多了。
  I will bear it though; you will see. 虽然我得承受,不过,你会看到。
  You will find great helps. These misfortunes of themselves strengthen one’s mind. 你会得到无私的帮助。不幸本身将使个体灵魂日趋强大,这也是不幸的悖论。
  They have some advantages too. You will be a better scholar for your lameness, I have no doubt. 由于残疾缘故,你会成为一位优秀学者,这点,我毫不怀疑。
  You will read more books, and have a mind richer in thoughts. You will be more beloved by us all, 你会博览群书,头脑睿智敏锐,思想深邃丰富,你也将赢得我们大家更多眷爱。
  and you yourself will love God more for having given you something to bear for his sake. 你本人将对上帝更加虔诚,因为他已让你承受更多的生活磨难,而你所作所为不过在为上帝受难;
  God himself will help you to bear your trials. 上帝将帮助你忍受无穷苦难;
  You will conquer your troubles one by one, and by a succession of LITTLE VICTORIES will at last completely triumph over all. 你会接连不断地征服你的困难,正是通过系列微小的胜利,你才能最终完全战胜人生的所有艰难。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/432111.html