月亮和六便士 第三十八章(1)(在线收听

 Chapter 38 第三十八章

I did not see him again for nearly a week. 又有将近一个星期我没有再看到他。
Then he fetched me soon after seven one evening and took me out to dinner. 一天晚上刚过七点他来找我,约我出去吃晚饭。
He was dressed in the deepest mourning, and on his bowler was a broad black band. He had even a black border to his handkerchief. 他身服重孝,圆顶硬礼帽上系着一条很宽的黑带子,连使用的手帕也镶着黑边。
His garb of woe suggested that he had lost in one catastrophe every relation he had in the world, even to cousins by marriage twice removed. 他的这身丧服说明在一次灾祸中他已经失去了世界上的一切亲属,甚至连姨表远亲也没有了。
His plumpness and his red, fat cheeks made his mourning not a little incongruous. 他的肥胖的身躯、又红又胖的面颊同身上的孝服很不协调。
It was cruel that his extreme unhappiness should have in it something of buffoonery. 老天也真是残忍,竟让他这种无限凄怆悲惨带上某种滑稽可笑的成分。
He told me he had made up his mind to go away, though not to Italy, as I had suggested, but to Holland. 他告诉我他已打定主意要到外国去,但并不是去我所建议的意大利,而是荷兰。
I'm starting to-morrow. This is perhaps the last time we shall ever meet. “我明天就动身。这也许是我们最后一次见面了。”
I made an appropriate rejoinder, and he smiled wanly. 我说了一句适当的答话,他勉强地笑了笑。
I haven't been home for five years. “我已经有五年没回老家了。
I think I'd forgotten it all;  我想家里的情况我都忘记了。
I seemed to have come so far away from my father's house that I was shy at the idea of revisiting it; but now I feel it's my only refuge. 我好象离开祖传的老屋那么遥远,甚至都不好意思再回去探望它了。但是现在我觉得这是我唯一的栖身之地。”
He was sore and bruised, and his thoughts went back to the tenderness of his mother's love. 施特略夫现在遍体鳞伤,他的思想又让他回去寻找慈母的温情慰抚。
The ridicule he had endured for years seemed now to weigh him down, 多少年来他忍受的挪揄嘲笑现在好象已经把他压倒,
and the final blow of Blanche's treachery had robbed him of the resiliency which had made him take it so gaily. 勃朗什对他的背叛给他带来了最后一次打击,使他失去了以笑脸承受讥嘲的韧性。
He could no longer laugh with those who laughed at him. 他不能再同那些嘲笑他的人一起放声大笑了。
He was an outcast. He told me of his childhood in the tidy brick house, and of his mother's passionate orderliness. 他已经成了一个摈弃于社会之外的人。他对我讲他在一所整洁有序的砖房子里消磨掉的童年。他的母亲生性爱好整洁,
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439800.html