英语听书《海底两万里》第436期 第26章 大头鲸和长须鲸(17)(在线收听

 A sudden insight into Captain Nemo's plans had just flashed through my mind. I understood.  船长的计划突然给了我启示,使我心中雪亮,我明白了。

The marvelous talents of his Nautilus would be put to work once again in this superhuman undertaking! 诺第留斯号的神奇本质又在这一次的超人事业中为他服务,成全他了。
I can see we're starting to understand each other, professor, Captain Nemo told me with a half smile.  我看到、我们彼此开始了解了,教授,船长微笑地对我说,
You already glimpse the potential--myself, I'd say the success-of this attempt.  您现在已经看到这个企图的可能——我个人,我要说这个企图的成功。
Maneuvers that aren't feasible for an ordinary ship are easy for the Nautilus.  在一只平常的船是办不到的,在诺第留斯号就容易办到。
If a continent emerges at the pole, we'll stop at that continent.  如果在南极浮出一个大陆,它是要在它面前停住的。
But on the other hand, if open sea washes the pole, we'll go to that very place! 但是相反,如果南极是自由的海,它就要到南极点上去!
Right, I said, carried away by the captain's logic.  是的,我说,受船长论证力量的提示,
Even though the surface of the sea has solidified into ice, its lower strata are still open, thanks to that divine justice that puts the maximum density of salt water one degree above its freezing point.  如果海面被冰冻结凝固了,它的下层是自由通行的,因为下面有天从人愿的自然理由,那就是海水的极大密度是比冰冻时高出一度。
And if I'm not mistaken, the submerged part of this Ice Bank is in a four-to-one ratio to its emerging part. 如果我没有错的话,那就是冰山的沉人部分对它的浮出部分之比是四比一!
Very nearly, professor.  差不多是这样,教授。
For each foot of iceberg above the sea, there are three more below.  冰山在海面上有一英尺,在下面就有三英尺。
Now then, since these ice mountains don't exceed a height of 100 meters, they sink only to a depth of 300 meters. And what are 300 meters to the Nautilus? 并且,因为这些冰山不超过一百米高,它们当然不至于深入到三百米。三百米对诺第留斯号来说算什么呢? 
A mere nothing, sir. 不算什么,先生。
We could even go to greater depths and find that temperature layer common to all ocean water, and there we'd brave with impunity the -30 degrees or -40 degrees cold on the surface. 它并且可以潜入更深的水层厂到那海水中温度一律不变的所在,在那里,我们可以安全支持海面的零下三十度或四十度的寒冷。
True, sir, very true, I replied with growing excitement. 对,先生,很对。我很激动地回答。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440133.html