英语听书《海底两万里》第469期 第29章 缺少空气(1)(在线收听

 Chapter 16 Shortage of Air  第十六章 缺少空气

Consequently, above, below, and around the Nautilus, there were impenetrable frozen walls. 这样,诺第留斯号的四周,上面下面,都是不可通过的冰墙。
We were the Ice Bank's prisoners! 我们是冰山的俘虏了。
The Canadian banged a table with his fearsome fist. 加拿大人把他的粗大拳头拍打着桌子。
Conseil kept still. I stared at the captain. 康塞尔沉默不言。我眼盯着船长。
His face had resumed its usual emotionlessness.  他的面容又恢复了平常的冷淡、严肃,
He crossed his arms. He pondered. 他两手交叉着,他心中思考。
The Nautilus did not stir. 诺第留斯号不动了。
The captain then broke into speech:"Gentlemen," he said in a calm voice, 船长于是发言了,他声音镇定地说:“先生们,
"there are two ways of dying under the conditions in which we're placed. 在我们目前所处的情况下,有两种死的方式。
"This inexplicable individual acted like a mathematics professor working out a problem for his pupils. "这个神秘人物好像一位数学教员,给他的学生作算术问题的解答。
"The first way," he went on, "is death by crushing. 他又说:“第一种死的方式是被压死。
The second is death by asphyxiation. 第二种是被闷死。
I don't mention the possibility of death by starvation because the Nautilus's provisions will certainly last longer than we will. 我不说有饿死的可能,因为诺第留斯号储藏的粮食一定比我们还能耐久一些。
Therefore, let's concentrate on our chances of being crushed or asphyxiated." 因此我们来考虑一下压死或闷死的可能性“船长,”我回答说。
"As for asphyxiation, captain," I replied, "that isn't a cause for alarm, because the air tanks are full." “至于闷死那是不用怕的,因为我的储藏库有满满的空气。”
"True," Captain Nemo went on, "but they'll supply air for only two days. “对,”船长说,“可是这些空气只能使用两天,
Now then, we've been buried beneath the waters for thirty-six hours, and the Nautilus's heavy atmosphere already needs renewing. 现在我潜入水中已经有三十六小时了,诺第留斯号的重浊空气经需要调换。
In another forty-eight hours, our reserve air will be used up." 到四十八小时,我们储藏的空气就用完
"Well then, captain, let's free ourselves within forty-eight hours!"  “那么,船长,我们想法在四十八小时前脱身就是了。”
"We'll try to at least, by cutting through one of these walls surrounding us." “至少,我们要想法试一下,把围住我们的冰墙凿开。”
"Which one?" I asked. “从哪一面凿呢?”我问。
Borings will tell us that. “那探测器可以使我知道。
I'm going to ground the Nautilus on the lower shelf, 我把诺第留斯号搁浅在下部冰层,
then my men will put on their diving suits and attack the thinnest of these ice walls. 我的船员穿上潜水衣,从冰墙最薄的地方凿开冰山。”
Can the panels in the lounge be left open? “可以把客厅的嵌板打开来吗?"
Without ill effect. We're no longer in motion. “没有什么不可以。船已经不行驶了。”
Captain Nemo went out. 尼摩船长走了。
Hissing sounds soon told me that water was being admitted into the ballast tanks. 不久发出哨声,我知道海水吸入储水池中。
The Nautilus slowly settled and rested on the icy bottom at a depth of 350 meters, 诺第留斯号慢慢下沉,停在三百五十米深的冰底下,
the depth at which the lower shelf of ice lay submerged. 这是冰山下部冰层潜入水底的深度。
My friends, I said, "we're in a serious predicament, “朋友们,”我说,“情形很是严重,
but I'm counting on your courage and energy." 但我相信你们能拿出你们的勇气和力量来。”
Sir, the Canadian replied, "this is no time to bore you with my complaints. “先生,”加拿大人回答我,“现在不是拿责骂来惹您讨厌的时候。
I'm ready to do anything I can for the common good." 我准备为大家共同的安全牺牲一切。”
Excellent, Ned, I said, extending my hand to the Canadian. “好,尼德。”我伸手给加拿大人说。
I might add, he went on, "that I'm as handy with a pick as a harpoon. “我又要说,”他补充说,“我使铁锨和使鱼叉一样灵活,
If I can be helpful to the captain, he can use me any way he wants." 如果我可能对船长有用,请他随便吩咐我吧。”
He won't turn down your assistance. Come along, Ned. “他一定不拒绝您的帮助。请跟我来,尼德。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440253.html