英语听书《海底两万里》第551期 第34章 大屠杀(12)(在线收听

 The Nautilus wasn't going to strike the double-decker where it was clad in impenetrable iron armor,  它不想攻打双层装甲战舰那难以穿透的装甲板,

but below its waterline, where the metal carapace no longer protected its planking. 而是想攻打它的浮标线下那金属装甲层保护不到的部位。 
We were prisoners once more, unwilling spectators at the performance of this gruesome drama.  我们被重新囚禁了,被迫充当准备发生的悲剧海难的见证人。
But we barely had time to think. 再说,我们几乎没有时间思考。
Taking refuge in my stateroom, we stared at each other without pronouncing a word.  我们躲进我的房间,大家面面相觑,说不出一句话来。 
My mind was in a total daze. 我精神恍惚,
My mental processes came to a dead stop.  思维停止活动,
I hovered in that painful state that predominates during the period of anticipation before some frightful explosion.  处在一种等待可怕的爆炸来临的艰难状况之中。 
I waited, I listened, I lived only through my sense of hearing! 我等待着,倾听着,我只能靠听觉来生活!
Meanwhile the Nautilus's speed had increased appreciably. 然而,“鹦鹉螺号”船只的速度明显加快:
So it was gathering momentum.  它就这样冲过去。
Its entire hull was vibrating. 整个船壳都在颤动。
Suddenly I let out a yell. 突然,我大叫一声。
There had been a collision, but it was comparatively mild. 撞击发生了,但相对来说比我想象的撞得还算轻。 
I could feel the penetrating force of the steel spur. 我感觉到钢铁冲角穿透的力量,
I could hear scratchings and scrapings. 我听到划破声和刮扯声。
Carried away with its driving power, the Nautilus had passed through the vessel's mass like a sailmaker's needle through canvas! “鹦鹉螺号”在强大的推动力作用下,像帆船的尖杆穿过帆布一样横穿过这艘大战舰!
I couldn't hold still. 我再也控制不住自己。
Frantic, going insane, I leaped out of my stateroom and rushed into the lounge. 我发疯了,神经失常了,我跑出房间,冲进客厅里。
Captain Nemo was there. Mute, gloomy, implacable, he was staring through the port panel. 尼摩船长在那里。他神情阴沉,默不作声,冷酷无情地透过左舷嵌板看着外面。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440455.html