英语听书《白鲸记》第845期(在线收听

 But I may as well say—en passant, as the French remark, 不过,我还得说——象法国话所说的en passant(法文:顺便一提的意思。),

that I myself—that is to say, Jack Bunger, late of the reverend clergy—am a strict total abstinence man; I never drink-" 我本人——就是说,我杰克·彭格,从前的牧师——可是个绝对滴酒不沾的人;我从来不喝——"
Water! cried the captain; "he never drinks it; it's a sort of fits to him; 水!那船长叫道;"他从来不喝水;水会叫他发老毛病的;
fresh water throws him into the hydrophobia; but go on—go on with the arm story." 淡水会叫他得恐水病;不过,说下去吧——把手臂的故事说下去吧。"
Yes, I may as well, said the surgeon, coolly. 好的,我还是,那船医沉着地说。
"I was about observing, sir, before Captain Boomer's facetious interruption, "回到刚才布默船长那引人发笑的插话之前的说话,先生,我当时差不多看出了,
that spite of my best and severest endeavors, the wound kept getting worse and worse; 尽管我非常精心致意,严加努力,可是那伤口却越来越糟;
the truth was, sir, it was as ugly gaping wound as surgeon ever saw; more than two feet and several inches long. 事实上,先生,那个难看的裂口确是一般外科医生从来未曾见到的,大约有两英尺几英寸长。
I measured it with the lead line. 这是我用测深索量出来的。
In short, it grew black; I knew what was threatened, and off it came. 总之,伤口发黑了;我知道它会有什么危险,必须把它锯掉才行。
But I had no hand in shipping that ivory arm there; that thing is against all rule" 可是,我又没有办法去弄那只骨手,这事情是违反一切规章的。"
pointing at it with the marlingspike—"that is the captain's work, not mine; he ordered the carpenter to make it; 他用解索针指着那只骨手——"那是船长的工作,不是我的工作;他命令木匠给他做;
he had that club-hammer there put to the end, to knock some one's brains out with, I suppose, as he tried mine once. 他要给装上一把木榔头,我想,那是要用来敲烂人家的脑袋的,他就曾经要敲我的脑袋。
He flies into diabolical passions sometimes. 他有时候会勃然大怒。
Do ye see this dent, sir"—removing his hat, and brushing aside his hair, and exposing a bowl-like cavity in his skull, 你可看到这个凹痕,先生——"他摘下帽子,把头发掠在一边,脑壳上露出个碗口大的洞洞,
but which bore not the slightest scarry trace, or any token of ever having been a wound, 可是一点也看不出疤痕,或者任何足以表示受过伤的痕记,
"Well, the captain there will tell you how that came there; he knows." "唔,事情的经过,船长会说给你听;他心里有数。"
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/442756.html