ESL杰夫的一天 第74期:开车回家和跑腿(1)(在线收听

 It's five o'clock and it's quitting time. 现在是下午五点,该下班了。

I put a few files into my bag, grab my mug, and say goodnight to the rest of the people in my area.  我把一些文件装入包中,拿上马克杯,向我部门里剩下的人道了晚安。
I go to the parking garage and get into my car.  我走到停车场,然后上了车。
I signal my turn onto the street and drive toward the freeway onramp. 我打开转向灯,开上了大街,然后开向高速公路匝道。
I merge as best as I can onto the freeway, which is always a bit of a hassle at this hour.  我尽可能地并入高速公路,在这个点时总会有点麻烦。
Traffic is stop-and-go all the way from downtown. 离开市区的路上交通非常缓慢。
I hear on the radio that there's a stalled car in fast lane near La Brea, backing up traffic all the way to Hoover.  我从广播上得知,靠近拉布雷阿街的快车道上有一辆车子抛锚了,一直堵到胡佛街。
I decide to get off the freeway and to take surface streets for the rest of the trip. 我决定开下高速公路,走普通的道路。
I need to make a stop on the way home.  我需要在回家的路上停一停。
I know that the fridge is empty, so I decide to stop by the market. 因为我知道冰箱里没有食物了,所以我决定在超级市场那停一下车。
I get there and I pick up some French bread, a bag of apples, a few bananas, some pasta, tomato sauce, and a cooked chicken. 我到那里后,拿了一些法国面包、一袋苹果、一些香蕉、一些意大利面、番茄酱和熟鸡肉。
Luckily, they have a lot of checkout stands open, and I get through the line pretty quickly. 所幸的是,他们的很多收银台都开放了,所以我很快就结了账。
I thank the cashier and the bagger and push my cart to my car. 我跟收银员和装袋工道了谢,然后把购物车推到了我车子旁边。
I open the trunk and load everything up. 我打开后备箱并把所有东西都装了进去。
Just then my wife calls me on my cell phone. 就在这时,我妻子给我打了个电话。
She was going to be a little late getting home and asks me to make something for dinner. 她要晚一点回家,叫我自己做晚餐吃。
Tonight, I will be the cook. 今晚,我要亲自下厨。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/443157.html