外贸英语话题王 第91期:投资场所(在线收听

   Outlet for investment 投资场所

  Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.  先生,女士,早上好。
  I know that for decades we focus a lot on big businesses.  我知道几十年来我们更多关注的是大公司。
  But learning from your comments on the service industry and its growth.  但是实际上,从你们对服务行业及其发展的评论上看,
  In fact, I know that small businesses have been doing the hiring when we see the big headlines of job losses here and there.  虽然失业状况比较普遍,小公司却一直在招聘人员。
  The state of the economy.Tom and international outlook, where are we going? 汤姆,你认为就目前经济状况及国际形势而言,我们的发展趋势会怎样?
  Well, that's a very good question.  嗯,这是个很好的问题。
  My worry about the economy is we're just sitting around waiting to get going, wait and see. 我对经济的担心是我们只是坐在这里观望。
  And you can't blame the boards of directors and the CEOs because it's not been a fertile environment,  你不能因为目前不成熟的环境而责备董事会和总裁。
  but it is a great time to get going and get on with making some significant investments. 但是,我们必须意识到目前是行动起来进行大规模投资的!
  Bill, comments on that? 比尔,你的观点呢?
  Tom is right.  我同意汤姆的观点。
  Exports have got to grow if we're going to get this economy going.  如果我们能使经济运转起来,出口就会增长。
  We are importing a lot more than we're exporting.  我们的进口远远超出出口。
  And everybody in this room is interested in doing more of that. 这个房间的每个人都想在这个方面做出更多努力。
  You know, a billion dollars  worth of exports creates 20, 000 American jobs. 你知道,价值10亿美元的出口可为美国人提的机构供20,000个就业机会。
  David, how about you, your joint venture between two really big financial powerhouses focusing on small-to-medium-size businesses in the Midwest and west,  大卫,你呢?你在中两部和西部的两大财团集中发展中、小规模的公司,这两大财团的合资进展如何?
  how does globalization affect those businesses? 经济全球化对这些公司产生了什么影响?
  Well, whether it is on the import side or the export side,  嗯,不管进口还是出口,
  almost every small business has been involved with globalization, in one form or another.  几乎每一个小公司都以某种形式卷入经济全球化的浪潮中。
  So, as the market, as competition comes, the ability to do business globally is very important.  所以,随着市场竞争的加剧,经济全球化的能力就显得非常重要。
  It's very critical for us. 这对我们来说非常关键。
  Well. Nat. What's your insight into outside competition? 嗯,奈特,你对外部竞争持什么观点?
  Well, you see, we have been blessed in this country with a large marketplace for anything.  嗯,你知道,我们在这个国家一直享有巨大的市场。
  But the problem of the globalization is if you do not take that business outside the shores somebody else will come and eat your marketplace.  但是经济全球化的问题在于,如果你不把业务扩展到海外,其他人就会进入,吞噬你的市场。
  So, for us, it is just a question of where we decide to compete, within the shores of this country or somewhere else outside 所以,对我们而言,问题不在于在哪儿竞争,在国内还是国外都不重要。
  and the farther we go outside, the better off we are in protecting our home base.  问题在于我们走得越远,我们就能更好的保护我们在本国的市场。
  My fear is not from our traditional competition: Western Europe and Japan, 我的担心不是来自传统的竞争对手——西欧和日本,
  but rather China and India.  而是中国和印度。
  And we are gearing up to compete with them today by establishing bases in those countries to service our products to sell in those countries today.  我们正在通过在那些国家建立子公司来提高竞争力,以促进我们的产品在这些国家的销售。
  That's the only way I know I can protect my little base from being eroded by overseas competition.  这是我所知道的保护我的市场不被海外竞争侵蚀的唯一方法。
  Thanks. 谢谢。
  Bill, you mentioned the fact that tourism, being the number two industry in the world,  比尔,你提到旅游业虽然是世界上第二大产业,
  does not have any senior administration that focuses strictly on that.  但是却没有引起高级管理部门的足够重视。
  What do you think the U. S. Government can do to help small businesses and increase exports? 你认为美国政府如何能够帮助小公司并增加出口?
  Well,I think opening new markets is very important.  嗯。我认为开拓新市场非常重要。
  Look what happened in China.  可以看中国的情况。
  I mean, China is probably the hottest growth market in the world,  中国可能是世界上最具发展潜力的市场。
  40 to 50 million Chinese tourists left China last year and went abroad.  去年四到五千万中国游客出国旅游。
  Five years ago, this was just not even thought about.  五年前,这是不可能发生的事情。
  So, here the U. S. Government has been making a tremendous effort with the World Trade Organization, in opening up China.  所以美国政府和世贸组织正在一起开辟中国市场。
  If you're going to open up a market.  如果你想开辟市场,
  Let's go open up the biggest one in the world.  就要开辟世界上最大的市场,
  I think that kind of thing is the thing the federal government can continue to push. 这是联邦政府应该继续推动的事情。
  Well,that's got to be the last word on it.  嗯,就以你的话作为结束。
  Thank you very much. 非常感谢。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/wmyyhtw/449599.html