TED演讲:信息 脑对脑沟通已来临(2)(在线收听

 So this is just one experiment that we published a few years ago,  那么这只是我们几年前发表的一个实验,

where a monkey, without moving its body,  一只猴子,无需动自己的身体,
learned to control the movements of an avatar arm,  学会控制一个机械手臂,
a virtual arm that doesn't exist.  一个不存在的虚拟的手臂。
What you're listening to is the sound of the brain of this monkey as it explores three different visually identical spheres in virtual space.  你们听到的是这只猴子脑部的声音在虚拟空间里边探索三个视觉上相同的球体。
And to get a reward, a drop of orange juice that monkeys love,  奖励就是给猴子一滴它喜欢的橙汁,
this animal has to detect, select one of these objects by touching,  这只猴子需要通过触摸来探测和选取其中一个物品,
not by seeing it, by touching it,  不是通过观察,而是通过触摸,
because every time this virtual hand touches one of the objects,  因为每当虚拟手臂触摸一个物体时,
an electrical pulse goes back to the brain of the animal describing the fine texture of the surface of this object,  一个电子脉冲就会传到猴子的脑部给这个动物描述物体表面的质地,
so the animal can judge what is the correct object that he has to grab,  猴子就能够判断它需要选哪个物体,
and if he does that, he gets a reward without moving a muscle.  如果它找到正确的物体, 他将无需动一块肌肉而得到奖赏。
The perfect Brazilian lunch:  完美的巴西式午餐,
not moving a muscle and getting your orange juice.  无需劳动而获得奖励。
So as we saw this happening,  当我们发现这个之后,
we actually came and proposed the idea that we had published 15 years ago.  我们得出了15年前提出的观点。
We reenacted this paper.  我们重新起草了文章。
We got it out of the drawers,  我们从箱子里找回这篇文章,
and we proposed that perhaps we could get a human being that is paralyzed to actually use the brain-machine interface to regain mobility.  并提出或许我们可以让一个瘫痪的人运用脑机接口重新获得运动能力。
The idea was that if you suffered and that can happen to any one of us.  大意就是如果你患有瘫痪,它很有可能发生到任何人身上。
Let me tell you, it's very sudden.  我和你们说,世事无常。
It's a millisecond of a collision,  这是毫秒之差的一个事故,
a car accident that transforms your life completely.  一次车祸就改变了你的一生。
If you have a complete lesion of the spinal cord,  如果你的脊髓完全损伤,
you cannot move because your brainstorms cannot reach your muscles.  你无法运动因为你的脑电风暴无法 将信号发送到你的肌肉中。
However, your brainstorms continue to be generated in your head.  然而,你的脑电风暴不断在脑部产生。
Paraplegic, quadriplegic patients dream about moving every night.  截瘫,全身瘫痪的患者 每天都梦到自己又能运动四肢。
They have that inside their head.  他们在脑子里有这样的感觉。
The problem is how to get that code out of it and make the movement be created again. 问题就是我们怎么把它转码变成动作,
So what we proposed was, let's create a new body.  所以我们提出的是 造一个新的肢体。
Let's create a robotic vest.  创造一个机器背心。
And that's exactly why Juliano could kick that ball just by thinking,  这就是为什么Juliano能够通过想象来踢球,
because he was wearing the first brain-controlled robotic vest that can be used by paraplegic, quadriplegic patients to move and to regain feedback.  因为他穿着第一件脑控机器背心能够帮助截瘫,全身瘫痪的患者重新运动并且重新得到运动反馈。
That was the original idea, 15 years ago.  这就是15年前的想法。
What I'm going to show you is how 156 people from 25 countries all over the five continents of this beautiful Earth, 我要给你们展示的是从25个国家来自这个美丽星球的五大洲的156人,
dropped their lives, dropped their patents,  放下他们的生活 离开他们的父母,
dropped their dogs, wives, kids, school, jobs,  宠物、妻子、儿女、功课、工作,
and congregated to come to Brazil for 18 months to actually get this done.  聚集到巴西度过18个月来完成这个项目。
Because a couple years after Brazil was awarded the World Cup,  因为在几年后巴西成功申请举办世界杯,
we heard that the Brazilian government wanted to do something meaningful in the opening ceremony in the country that reinvented and perfected soccer until we met the Germans, of course. 我们听说巴西政府想在开幕式上做一些意义非凡的事情在这个重塑并完善足球的国家当然,那是在我们碰到德国人之前。
But that's a different talk,  但那又是另一个话题了,
and a different neuroscientist needs to talk about that.  这是另一类神经学家该讨论的问题。
But what Brazil wanted to do is to showcase a completely different country,  但巴西想要做的是展现一个完全不一样的国家,
a country that values science and technology,  一个重视科学和技术的国家,
and can give a gift to millions, 25 million people around the world that cannot move any longer because of a spinal cord injury.  能够为全球2500万因为脊髓受伤而无法行动的人一个礼物。
Well, we went to the Brazilian government and to FIFA and proposed,  我们向巴西政府和国际足联提出建议,
well, let's have the kickoff of the 2014 World Cup be given by a Brazilian paraplegic using a brain-controlled exoskeleton that allows him to kick the ball and to feel the contact of the ball.  让我们邀请一个巴西截瘫患者使用一个大脑控制的骨骼康复机器人让他能接触并感受到球来为2014世界杯开球。
They looked at us, thought that we were completely nuts,  他们像看到一群疯子一样地看着我们
and said, Okay, let's try. 然后说好吧,我们来试一下。
We had 18 months to do everything from zero, from scratch.  我们有18个月的时间从零开始。
We had no exoskeleton, we had no patients,  我们没有机器人,没有患者,
we had nothing done.  我们什么都没有。
These people came all together and in 18 months, we got eight patients in a routine of training and basically built from nothing this guy,  这些人聚集在一起并且在18个月的时间里 我们有8位患者进行日常训练基本上是从零开始,这个家伙,
that we call Bra-Santos Dumont 1.  我们称它为Bra-Santos Dumont一号。
The first brain-controlled exoskeleton to be built was named after the most famous Brazilian scientist ever,  第一个脑控骨骼康复机器人是以巴西最著名的科学家,
Alberto Santos Dumont,  阿尔贝托 桑托斯 杜蒙来命名,
who, on October 19, 1901, created and flew himself the first controlled airship on air in Paris for a million people to see.  他在1901年10月19号 发明并自行飞行了第一架驾驶飞艇 在巴黎上空在百万人们的注视下飞行。
Sorry, my American friends,  对不起,我的美国朋友们,
I live in North Carolina,  我住在北卡罗纳,
but it was two years before the Wright Brothers flew on the coast of North Carolina.  但莱特兄弟是在两年后才在北卡的岸边成功试飞的。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kjp/451664.html