TED演讲:性格的迷思--你究竟是谁(7)(在线收听

 I had a consulting contract I shared with a colleague who's as different from me as two people can possibly be. 我跟一名同事共同,负责一项咨询业务,我跟他是截然不同的两个人。

First, his name is Tom. Mine isn't. 首先,他叫汤姆。我不叫汤姆。
Secondly, he's six foot five. I have a tendency not to be. 其次,他身高1米96。我这辈子是不指望了。
And thirdly, he's as extroverted a person as you could find. I am seriously introverted. 第三点,他是个及其外向的人。而我十分内向。
I overload so much, I can't even have a cup of coffee after three in the afternoon and expect to sleep in the evening. 我心思很重,我要是下午三点之后喝了杯咖啡,那晚上就别想睡了。
We had seconded to this project a fellow called Michael.  我们还有一个助手,叫麦克。
And Michael almost brought the project to a crashing halt.  麦克几乎把整个项目给搞砸了。
So the person who seconded him asked Tom and me,  麦克的继任者问我和汤姆,
"What do you make of Michael?"  “你们怎么评价麦克?”
Well, I'll tell you what Tom said in a minute. He spoke in classic "extrovert-ese." 我稍后再告诉你汤姆是怎么说的。他的回答是非常典型的外向型。
And here is how extroverted ears heard what I said, which is actually pretty accurate. 而我的回答嘛,其实在外向者听来应该是非常精确的。
I said, "Well Michael does have a tendency at times of behaving in a way that some of us might see 我说,“其实,麦克有时候的一些做法,在我们某些人看来
as perhaps more assertive than is normally called for."  也许过于自信了,可能有时候有点过分。”
Tom rolled his eyes and he said,  汤姆翻了个白眼说,
"Brian, that's what I said: he's an asshole!" “布莱恩,这不就是我刚刚说的:他就是个混蛋!”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kxp/451919.html