绿野仙踪 第111期:奥芝的秘密(4)(在线收听

 The Lion thought it might be as well to frighten the Wizard,  那狮子想道,最好是去恐吓一下那魔术家,

so he gave a large, loud roar, which was so fierce and dreadful that Toto jumped away from him in alarm and tipped over the screen that stood in a corner.  所以就高声地吼着,那是怎样猛烈而且可怕的呛哮,吓得托托从狮子身旁跑开,撞在那安放在角落里的屏风上。
As it fell with a crash they looked that way, and the next moment all of them were filled with wonder.  屏风拍挞一声倒下来,他们全都很好奇。
For they saw, standing in just the spot the screen had hidden, a little old man, with a bald head and a wrinkled face, who seemed to be as much surprised as they were.  因为他们看见站在屏风后面,是一个秃了头、皱了脸的、又矮小又丑的老头儿,那老头儿也和他们一样,非常吃惊。
The Tin Woodman, raising his axe, rushed toward the little man and cried out, "Who are you?" 铁皮人举起了他的斧头,向这个矮小的老头儿冲过去,并大叫道:“你是谁?”
"I am Oz, the Great and Terrible," said the little man, in a trembling voice.  “我是伟大的可怕的奥芝,”那矮小的老头儿用一种颤动的声音说。
"But don't strike me--please don't--and I'll do anything you want me to." “但是请不要伤害我——我可以为你们做任何事情。”
Our friends looked at him in surprise and dismay. 他们惊异而失望地看着他。
"I thought Oz was a great Head," said Dorothy. 多萝茜说:“我想奥芝是一个大头怪兽。”
"And I thought Oz was a lovely Lady," said the Scarecrow. 稻草人说:“我想奥芝是一个可爱的美丽的贵妇人。”
"And I thought Oz was a terrible Beast," said the Tin Woodman. 铁皮人说:“我想奥芝是一只恐怖的巨兽。”
"And I thought Oz was a Ball of Fire," exclaimed the Lion. 狮子解释着说:“我想奥芝是一个燃着的火球。”
"No, you are all wrong," said the little man meekly. "I have been making believe." “不,你们看到的都不是我本人,”矮小的老人温和谦逊地说。“那都是假的。”
"Making believe!" cried Dorothy. "Are you not a Great Wizard?" “假的?”多萝茜喊着。“你并不是魔术师奥芝?”
"Hush, my dear," he said. "Don't speak so loud, or you will be overheard--and I should be ruined. I'm supposed to be a Great Wizard." “我的朋友们,静一点儿,轻一点儿,”他说,“说话声音不要那么大,不然你们的话被人偷听了去——我就完蛋了。我是假扮做一个魔术师的。”
"And aren't you?" she asked. “你真的不是伟大的奥芝吗?”她问。
"Not a bit of it, my dear; I'm just a common man." “我的亲爱的,的确不是的;我和你一样是一个普通的人。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shuchong1j/wizardofoz/452358.html