TED演讲:我们不要一成不变的教育(3)(在线收听

   Now look, I'm a technology fan, but I have to admit to you all I'm a little old. 我是一个技术发烧友,但我得承认我年纪是大了点。

  So I was a little slow, and I did not trust technology, and when they first came out with those new contraptions, 所以,我会有点跟不上形势,我也不相信技术,尤其是我第一次看到的新玩意儿,
  these tellers that you put in a card and they give you money, 就是这些你将银行卡塞进去就能给你吐出钱来的自动取款机。
  I was like, "There's no way that machine is going to count that money right. I am never using that, right?" 我想,这些机器没法数准这些钱吧!我从没用过取款机。对吧?
  So technology has changed. Things have changed. Yet not in education. Why? 其实技术已经变了很多。世上的事情也在变。可就是教育从来没变过。为什么?
  Why is it that when we had rotary phones, when we were having folks being crippled by polio, 为何在我们还使用旋转式拨号电话机时,当我们还有人因脊髓灰质炎而至残跛行时,
  that we were teaching the same way then that we're doing right now? 我们所受的教育和现在的孩子所受的教育还是完全一样的呢?
  And if you come up with a plan to change things, people consider you radical. 而如果你有计划做一些改革,人们又会说你激进。
  They will say the worst things about you. 他们还会讲你很多坏话。
  I said one day, well, look, if the science says -- this is science, not me 我曾说过,某天,如果科学说:是科学--而不是我,
  that our poorest children lose ground in the summertime -- You see where they are in June and say, okay, they're there. 使得我们最贫穷的孩子在夏天里像一盘散沙一般没学上--六月时可能你发觉他成绩还不错的,然后你会说,没事啊,他们成绩还可以的。
  You look at them in September, they've gone down. You say, whoo! 可等你在九月开学再看到他们时,他们的成绩已经一落千丈了。你会说,哇!
  So I heard about that in '75 when I was at the Ed School at Harvard. 所以,在1975年我听到这样说法,当时我还在哈佛的Ed学校。
  I said, "Oh, wow, this is an important study." 我说,“哇,这是一个很重要的研究。”
  Because it suggests we should do something. 因为这表明我们应该做些事情来改变这一状况。
  Every 10 years they reproduce the same study. 每10年他们都会重复这一研究。
  It says exactly the same thing: Poor kids lose ground in the summertime. 说的还是同样的事:穷学生在暑假时学业会一落千丈。
  The system decides you can't run schools in the summer. 我们的教育体系决定了我们的学校暑假不上课。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/453223.html