美国小学英语教材6:第3课 摄像机猎象记(1)(在线收听

   Hunting elephants with a camera Martin Johnson 摄像机猎象记 马丁·约翰逊

  Perhaps you have thought that the only way to hunt animals is with a gun, 也许你认为捕猎野生动物的唯一方式是带上枪,
  but Martin Johnson and his wife, Osa, spent many years hunting them with a camera. 但是马丁. 约翰逊和他的妻子奥萨常年以来却一直在使用一台摄像机捕猎大象。
  In this story he tells you why camera- hunting is far more dangerous and thrilling than hunting to kill. 在这个故事里,他会告诉你为什么用摄像机捕猎动物比猎杀更加危险,更加刺激。
  He also tells some most surprising things about elephants. 同时,他也介绍了关于大象的一些不为人知的事情。
  A close call 近距离接触
  My wife, Osa, and I were camera hunting in Africa. 在非洲,我的妻子奥萨和我是“摄像机猎手”。
  Boculy, the native whom we had engaged to find elephants for us, came running into camp greatly excited. 我们邀请的帮我们寻找大象的当地人鲍可利激动地冲进营地。
  He was out of breath and raised and lowered his hands exclaiming jerkily in Swahili, 他气喘吁吁地挥舞着手臂,用他的母语斯瓦希里语,激动地大声喊道:
  his native language: Big el-ephants-big elephants-all together-very quiet-come quickly! “大象——大象——全在一起——非常安静——快跟我来!”
  In a few moments we had our gun bearers and camera boys with their heavy loads under way. 几分钟后,我们叫上帮我们保管枪支和摄像设备的男孩,带着重重的行囊上路了。
  Shortly after, we came up with the herd. 不久,我们便追上了象群。
  There were seven animals quietly feeding on the edge of the forest. 在森林的边缘,我们一共发现七头大象在安静地进食。
  Three were cows, and two were bulls-big fellows. Two totos or babies, wandered about in the tall grass. 三头母象,两头公象,这都是些大家伙。旁边,还有两头“图图”,也就是小象,徜徉在高大的热带草丛中。
  The elephant herd was ideally placed for still pictures, but we wanted action; 要是拍静态照片的话,那么象群现在的状态就十分理想,但我们需要它们动起来。
  so leaving Osa at the camera, I walked forward to stir things up a bit. 我把奥萨安排在摄像机跟前拍摄,而我自己走上前,想让大象们稍稍动起来一点儿。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxxyyjc/d6c/454027.html