TED演讲:你为何不会成就伟业(7)(在线收听

   What do you want me to say? 你们想让我说什么?

  Now, do you really want me to say now, tell you, "Really, I swear I don't kick children." 现在,你们真的想让我说,告诉你们,“真的,我发誓我不踢小孩。”
  Look at the worldview you've given yourself. You're a hero no matter what. 嗯?看看你给自己定的世界观。无论如何你都是个英雄。
  And I, by suggesting ever so delicately that you might want a great career, must hate children. 然而我,通过暗示,这么小心翼翼地,说你可能想要成就伟业,一定痛恨小孩。
  I don't hate children. I don't kick them. 我不恨小孩。我不踢他们。
  Yes, there was a little kid wandering through this building when I came here, and no, I didn't kick him. 是的,刚才我来的时候有个小孩走过来,我没踢他。
  Course, I had to tell him the building was for adults only, and to get out. 当然,我不得不告诉他这个楼是给大人的,他得出去。
  He mumbled something about his mother, and I told him she'd probably find him outside anyway. 他含糊地说他妈妈什么的,然后我跟他说他妈估计在外面找他呢。
  Last time I saw him, he was on the stairs crying. What a wimp. 我上次看到他的时候他正在台阶上哭呢。真是个懦夫。
  But what do you mean? That's what you expect me to say. 但是你是什么意思?这就是你们期待我说的。
  Do you really think it's appropriate that you should actually take children and use them as a shield? 你真的认为,你真的认为拿小孩当挡箭牌合适吗?
  You know what will happen someday, you ideal parent, you? 你知道有一天会发生什么,你,完美的父母,对吗?
  The kid will come to you someday and say, "I know what I want to be. I know what I'm going to do with my life." 你的孩子有一天会跟你说,“我知道我想做什么。我知道我想怎么度过一生。”
  You are so happy. It's the conversation a parent wants to hear, 你特别高兴。这种对话父母最爱听了,
  because your kid's good in math, and you know you're going to like what comes next. 因为你的孩子数学好,而且你知道你会爱听你孩子接下来的话。
  Says your kid, "I have decided I want to be a magician. I want to perform magic tricks on the stage." 你孩子说,“我决定了,我想做个魔术师。我想在舞台上表演魔术。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/455359.html