TED演讲:医生们会犯错误(7)(在线收听

   And it wasn't because of my attending; he was a doll.  而这也不是因为我的主治;他人非常好。

  He talked to the family, and I'm quite sure that he smoothed things over and made sure that I didn't get sued.  他和那家人好好的谈过。我确定他为了确保我没有被控告而替我打了圆场。
  And I kept asking myself these questions. Why didn't I ask my attending?  但我仍然不断问我自己这些问题:为什么当时我没有联系我的主治?
  Why did I send her home? And then at my worst moments: Why did I make such a stupid mistake?  为什么我当时会让她回家? 更加沮丧时,我会问: 我为什么会犯下如此愚蠢的错误?
  Why did I go into medicine? Slowly but surely, it lifted. 为什么我会选择进入医学界?慢慢的但稳定地,那糟糕的感觉开始淡化了。
  I began to feel a bit better.  我开始觉得缓和了些。
  And on a cloudy day, there was a crack in the clouds and the sun started to come out and I wondered, maybe I could feel better again.  然后在一个阴云密布的日子里,当我看到一束阳光从云隙中探出,我觉得,或许我能再次感觉好起来。
  And I made myself a bargain that if only I redouble my efforts to be perfect and never make another mistake again, please make the voices stop.  然后我和自己做了一个约定:如果我加倍努力做到完美,不再犯错,请就此让那自责的声音消去。
  And they did. And I went back to work. And then it happened again.  那个声音的确停止了。我回到了工作岗位。但错误又发生了。
  Two years later I was an attending in the emergency department at a community hospital just north of Toronto,  两年后,当我在一家多伦多北部一间社区医院的急症室做主治医生时,
  and I saw a 25 year-old man with a sore throat.  我看了一位喉咙酸痛的25岁的男人。
  It was busy, I was in a bit of a hurry. He kept pointing here.  当时诊所很忙,所以我也有些急。他不停的指着这里。
  I looked at his throat, it was a little bit pink.  我看了看,他的喉咙有些红肿。
  And I gave him a prescription for penicillin and sent him on his way. 我给他开了盘尼西林的处方后 便让他离开了。
  And even as he was walking out the door, he was still sort of pointing to his throat.  即便当他走出诊所的大门的时候,他似乎还在指着他的喉咙。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/455447.html