欧美人文风情第73篇:如何戒掉坏习惯?(在线收听

 Typically, we are harder on others than ourselves when it comes to bad habits. 一般来说,当提到坏习惯时,我们总严以待人宽以律己。

They could be annoyances, like, someone who starts cracking their knuckles right next to you, 它们可以是让人讨厌的事,像是,某个就在你旁边开始折指节的人,
or a friend of yours who you love very much but who constantly drops the word "like" into, like, every other sentence. 或是你一个非常喜欢的朋友,但他会不断用“像是”这个词,像是,每隔一句就用一次。
Hey, but you've got one, too! Everyone has at least one bad habit that they can shake. 嘿,但你也有个坏习惯!每个人都至少有一个他们可以摆脱的坏习惯。
Or can they? 或是他们可以吗?
Welcome to Wellcast. This week, we took another viewer's suggestion from Franticow who wrote in asking for video on breaking bad habits. 欢迎收看Wellcast。这周,我们采纳另外一个观众Franticow的建议,他写信来寻求戒掉坏习惯的影片。
So today, you guessed it. 所以今天,你们猜到了。
We're gonna examine why it's so darn difficult to give up chowing down on junk food or chowing down on your fingernails. 我们要检验为什么要戒掉大吃垃圾食物、或是大啃你的指甲是如此的困难。
We've also got a four-step method for overcoming your biggest vice. Are you ready? 我们同样也提供一个克服最大恶习的四阶段方法。你准备好了吗?
First and foremost: how do bad habits even form? 首先最重要的是:坏习惯到底怎么养成的?
Studies by the National Institute of Health point to two main reasons: The first reason is repetition. 美国国立卫生研究院的研究指出两个主要原因:第一个原因是反复。
If you do something often enough, say, you twirl your pencil during class, 如果你够常做某件事,例如,你在课堂上转笔,
you brain decides it can stop wasting precious neuron thinking about it. 你的大脑决定它可以停止浪费宝贵的神经元来思考这事。
So it checks out and goes on vacation. 所以它收工并放假去了。
You could be twirling your pencil through AP English, social studies, algebra and trig without even thinking about it. 你甚至连想都不用想,就会在大学先修英文课、社会研究课、代数和三角学上转你的笔。
The other way bad habits are formed is through positive reinforcement, 另一个坏习惯养成的方式是透过正面强化,
which sounds like a really good thing, but it can be dangerous. 这听起来像是一件非常好的事,但它也可以是很危险的。
Let's talk about that energy drink that you insist on sucking back when you're up late studying. 来谈谈你在熬夜念书时坚持要喝的能量饮料。
Gives you a nice boost of energy, and then helps you get through to the end of that mind-numbingly boring paper you're writing on Chaucer. 它给了你满满的能量补充,然后帮你撑过你正在写的那份让人脑袋麻痺、无聊的Chaucer(英国作家)报告的最后。
But the reason why this kind of habit is hard to break is that the nice surge of energy at 11 p.m. is an enjoyable feeling. 但这种习惯为什么难戒掉的原因,是因为在晚上十一点时能量的激增是一种快乐的感受。
And enjoyable feelings usually result in your brain releasing dopamine. 而快乐的感受通常会导致你的脑袋释出多巴胺。
This is partly why people often crave things that aren't even enjoyable for them anymore. 在一定程度上,这就是为什么人们常常还会渴望那些对他们来说甚至已经不再快乐的事。
The brain is jonesing for dopamine. 脑袋上了多巴胺的瘾。
But don't worry, my habitual compadres. 但别担心,我的恶习朋友们。
Human beings are pretty amazing at changing and adapting. 人类在改变和适应方面是非常惊人的。
Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to obliterate that bad habit in four easy steps. 各位先生女士,我们要用四个简单步骤来戒掉那坏习惯。
Pause and print this sheet at watchwellcast.com. 暂停并印下watchwellcast.com上的这份表。
Step one (let's start at the very beginning. It's a very good place to start): 第一步(从起点开始。这是个开始的好地方):
Write down the bad habit you're trying to quit. 写下你试着要戒掉的坏习惯。
Start simple. Choose just one. 简单开始。只选一个。
Step two: Learn to avoid your triggers. 第二步:学会避开你的触发点
Take some time to think of other things that really make you crave doing your bad habit. 花点时间想想其他真正会让你渴望做坏习惯的事。
If biting your nails is your vice, your triggers might be: "That last minute quiz!" "Oh, no! I gotta pay my electric bill" 如果咬指甲是你的恶习,你的触发点可能是:“最后一刻的考试!”“喔,不!我要付电费了。”
or "How much money do I have in my account for rent?" 或是“我帐户里还有多少钱付房租?”
List these triggers in section two of your worksheet. 在工作表的第二栏里列出这些触发点。
Next to these triggers, write a list of ways you can avoid them. 在这些触发点旁边,写下你可以避开它们方式的名单。
For example, read your syllabus every week or make sure that you plan for automatic deductions for your electric bill. 举例来说,每周细看课纲,或是确定你有安排自动扣缴电费。
Step three: Substitute your bad habits for not so bad habits. 第三步:把你的坏习惯替换成不那么坏的习惯
Basically, you wanna teach your brain by repetition to learn a new habit. 基本上,你想要透过重复来教你的脑袋学会新的习惯。
So if you tend to bite your nails when you're stressed and alone in your living room, 所以如果你在客厅压力大且孤独时容易咬指甲,
stock your refrigerator with carrots and celery, 在冰箱囤积红萝卜和芹菜,
so that you can reach for something else to chew on when you're stressed out. 这样一来当你压力大时就能拿些其他的东西来啃。
Write a substitution next to every trigger on section three of your worksheet. 在工作表上第三栏每个触发点旁写下替代方案。
Step four: Gather your army. 第四步:集结你的军队。
You do not have to do this alone. Enlist your friends to help you defeat this bad habit. 你不必单独做这事。招募你的朋友来帮你打败这个坏习惯。
Start by telling them that you're planning on eliminating this bad habit and you need their help. 开始以告诉他们你正计画要消灭这个坏习惯,而且需要他们的帮助。
Just the simple act of letting them in on this battle that you're waging is a step at the right direction. 就是这个让他们知道你正在进行的这场战斗的简单行动,就是朝向正途的一步。
Remember, your friends can be bodyguards. They'll stand between you and your brain. 记住,你的朋友可以当保镖。他们会站在你和你的脑袋之间。
Tell them to police you. If they see you reaching for those nails to bite, 叫他们监督你。如果他们看到你伸手要咬指甲,
give them the permission to remind you of your mission or even slap your hand. 准许他们提醒你的任务,或甚至打你的手。
Whatever you want! 不论你想要什么!
Alright, guys. Let's recap. Today you learned four steps for beating your bad habits. 好的,各位。来复习吧。今天你学到打败坏习惯的四个步骤。
You decided which habit you wanted to kick. You figured out your triggers for this bad habit. 你决定你想要戒掉哪个坏习惯。你想出这个坏习惯的触发点。
And you decided on ways to avoid and replace these triggers with healthier alternatives. 你选定方法来,用更健康的替代方案避开并替换这些触发点。
If all those fail, you learn to enlist your friends in the fight. 如果那些全都失败,你学到召集你的朋友来打这场仗。
Tweet us at WatchWellCast. Email us at [email protected]. 在推特WatchWellCast上留言给我们。寄信到[email protected]给我们。
Or leave a comment down below. We'll see you next time. 或是在下方留言。我们下次见。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/omrwfq/465501.html