向前一步:第216期 让我们开始讨论吧(22)(在线收听

 But her larger concern was whether she could manage the long hours in the White House and still see her family. 但她最大的担心是自己能否忍受得了白宫长时间的工作,同时还能兼顾家庭。

She put it beautifully: "I knew that whether this would work depended on two men. 她说得很有意思:“我知道这事成不成取决于两个男人。
So first I asked my husband if he could step in and take on more of the responsibility for the kids. 所以我先问我丈夫他能不能帮忙多管管孩子。
He said, 'Of course, it's your turn.' 他说:‘当然可以,你去吧。’
And then I told the Vice President-elect that I really wanted to have dinner with my kids most nights. 然后我又对拜登说,我真的很想尽可能多回家和孩子一起吃晚饭。
And his response was, 'Well, you have a phone and I can call you when I need you after dinnertime.' 他的回答是:‘好啊,你有电话嘛,我可以在你吃晚饭的时候打电话给你。’”
Cynthia believes that the lesson of her story is "Don't be afraid to ask," even if it seems like a long shot. 辛西娅认为自己的经验就是“别害怕提问”,即使这件事看上去有可能不成功。
Being offered a senior job, especially after being at home for so long, presented a great opportunity. 有机会做高级职位的工作,尤其是在家里待了这么长时间,这可是个千载难逢的机会。
Many women would have accepted it without even trying to carve out the time they needed for their families. 许多女性也许还没来得及考虑家人的感受就会接受这份工作;
Others would have turned it down, assuming that having dinner at home most nights was not negotiable. 一些女性也许直接就拒绝了,认为经常回家吃晚饭的要求是不可能被接受的。
Being forthright led to opportunity. 实际上,直言不讳反而更有利于把握机会。
Every job will demand some sacrifice. 每份工作都会要求做出某种牺牲,
The key is to avoid unnecessary sacrifice. 关键在于避免不必要的牺牲,
This is especially hard since our work culture values complete dedication. 这在企业文化要求我们必须全心投入时变得尤为困难。
We worry that even mentioning other priorities makes us less valuable employees. 我担心的是,即使只是提到工作之外其他重要的事情,也会降低我们的价值。
I have faced this too. As I described, once I had children, I changed my working hours to be home for dinner. 我也得面对这个问题。就像前文提到的,一旦我有了孩子,就会调整工作时间争取回家吃晚饭,
But only fairly recently did I start talking about this change. 但直到最近我才开始做出这样的调整。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/471879.html