美国小学英语教材5:第121课 点金术(15)(在线收听

 Midas began to wring his hands and bemoan himself; he could neither bear to look at Marygold, nor yet to look away from her. 迈达斯开始绞着手,埋怨;他既不敢看玛丽金,也不敢把目光从她身上移开。

While he was in this despair, he suddenly beheld a stranger, standing near the door. 正当他绝望的时候,他突然看见一个陌生人站在门口。
Midas bent down his head, without speaking, for he recognized the same figure which had appeared to him the day before in the treasure- room, and had bestowed upon him this unlucky power of the Golden Touch. 迈达斯低下头,一句话也没说,因为他认出了昨天在储藏室里出现在他面前的那个人,正是那个人赋予了他这种不幸的点金术。
The stranger's face still wore a smile, which seemed to shed a yellow luster all about the room. 陌生人的脸上仍然挂着微笑,这微笑似乎使整个房间都泛着黄色的光彩。
It gleamed on little Marygold's statue, and on the other objects that had been changed by the touch of Midas. 它在小玛丽金的雕像和其他被迈达斯的触摸改变了的东西上闪闪发光。
“Well, friend Midas,” said the stranger, “pray how do you succeed with the Golden Touch?” “那么,朋友迈达斯,”陌生人说,“请问你是如何用点金术成功的?”
Midas shook his head. 迈达斯摇摇头。
“I am very miserable,” said he. “我很痛苦,”他说。
“Very miserable, indeed!” exclaimed the stranger. “实际上非常痛苦!”陌生人惊呼道。
“And how happens that? “怎么会这样呢?
Have I not faithfully kept my promise with you? 难道我没有忠实地履行我对你的诺言吗?
Have you not everything that your heart desired?” 你没得到心中所想吗?”
“Gold is not everything,” answered Midas. “黄金不是万能的,”迈达斯回答说。
“And I have lost all that my heart really cared for.” “我失去了我内心真正在乎的一切。”
“Ah! So you have made a discovery since yesterday?” asked the stranger. “你有了新发现?”陌生人问。
“Let us see, then. “那么让我们看看。
Which of these two things do you think is really worth the more — the gift of the Golden Touch, or one cup of clear cold water?” 你认为这两件事哪一件更有价值?是点金术的礼物,还是一杯干净的冷水?”
“Oh, blessed water!” exclaimed Midas. “哦,是水!”迈达斯惊呼。
“It will never moisten my parched throat again!” “它再也不会滋润我干渴的喉咙了!”
“The Golden Touch,” continued the stranger, “or a crust of bread?” “是点金术,”陌生人继续说道,“还是一块面包?”
“A piece of bread,” answered Midas, “is worth all the gold on earth!” “一片面包,”迈达斯回答说,“比世界上所有金子还有价值!”
“The Golden Touch,” asked the stranger, “or your own little Marygold, warm, soft, and loving, as she was an hour ago?” “点金术,”陌生人问,“还是一小时前温暖、温柔、可爱的小玛丽金?”
“Oh, my child, my dear child!” cried poor Midas, wringing his hands. “哦,是水!”迈达斯惊呼。
“I would not have given that one small dimple in her chin for the power of changing this whole big earth into a solid lump of gold!” “我不会因点金术而牺牲哪怕她脸上的一个小酒窝!”
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxxyyjc/d5c/474637.html