英语PK台 第962期:徒步 骑行or创业 了不起的冒险(在线收听

Dialogue 1

Jingjing: Mark, I know you like hiking. Have you ever gone long-distance hiking?

京晶:马克,我知道你喜欢徒步,你长距离远足过吗?

Mark: I've done a few hikes that were three or four days, mostly with a base camp. My parents did long hikes.

马克:我做过几次为期三四天的徒步旅行,大多都是有大本营的那种。我父母有过长途远足。

Jingjing: Why didn't you go with them?

京晶:为何不和他们一起去呢?

Mark: I had school some of the time. Also, I had to stay home and mail out the packages.

马克:我有时还得上学。并且,我还得待在家里,给他们寄包裹什么的。

Jingjing: Oh, that's right. Hikers have to carry lots of dried food. They must have been planning their trip for quite some time.

京晶:噢,对。徒步者必须带很多脱水干粮。他们一定用了很长时间计划他们的旅行。

Mark: Yeah, it took several months of planning, almost as long as the trip itself. As for me, I didn't want to be hungry all the time.

马克:是的,计划了好几个月,几乎和行程本身一样长了。至于我,我可不想一直饿着。

Jingjing: I'm sure hikers use up lots of energy.

京晶:我敢肯定旅行者会消耗很多能量。

Mark: Yeah. Every six days or so, when they got into a town, they each would eat enough for three people.

马克:是,每六天左右,当他们进城后,他们每个人都能吃三个人的量。

Jingjing: But you went on a long bike trip, didn't you?

京晶:但是你做过长途自行车骑行,不是吗?

Mark: 58 days. And, breakfast, lunch and dinner I could eat like crazy and still be slim enough to walk along the bottom of a swimming pool.

马克:58天。并且,早中晚餐我都可以疯狂的吃,我仍然足够苗条,可以沿着游泳池底边走。

Jingjing: What about the time you spent on the road. It must have taken the whole day to cover what a motorcycle could do in an hour. Didn't you worry about getting hit by a car?

京晶:路上的时间是怎么样的,你一定得花费一整天的时间去弄骑完摩托车一小时内就能走完的路。你难道不担心被车撞吗?

Mark: The shoulder was pretty wide. Also, I could hear a car coming from a long way off, and could tell if it was a heavy vehicle, like a log truck. That gave me plenty of time to pull off to the side.

马克:路肩挺宽的。并且,我还能听到一辆车从很远的地方开过来,还能分辨出它是不是一辆重型车,像一辆原木卡车。这让我有足够的时间靠边停车。

Jingjing: Weren't your parents worried about you?

京晶:你父母不担心你吗?

Mark: Sure. But these are the same parents who went on their own trip for seven months, through wilderness areas.

马克:当然。但他们可是通过荒山野岭自己旅行了七个月的父母。

Jingjing: Well, those sound like some great adventures!

京晶:嗯,那听起来像了不起的冒险!

New words : 习语短语

base camp 基地营,大本营

a place to drop off heavy supplies, halfway up a mountain

shoulder 路肩

the side of a road, where cars can stop or bikes can go

a long way off far away 距离很远

wilderness area 荒山野岭

a large area of land which has no roads, power lines or buildings, usually run by the government to protect wildlife and natural scenery

Dialogue 2

Jingjing: Mark, can you guess what my biggest adventure was?

京晶:马克,你能猜到我最大的冒险是什么吗?

jingjing

Mark: Well, I know you went on that trip to Europe. Would you count that?

马克:嗯,我知道你去欧洲旅行了。那算吗?

Jingjing: I travel to relax. So, even though I saw a lot of famous buildings and natural scenery, I don't think of it as an adventure.

京晶:我旅行是为了放松。所以,尽管我看到了许多著名的建筑和自然风光,但我不认为这是一次冒险。

Mark: Ok, Jingjing, you'll have to give me a clue.

马克:好吧,京晶。你得给我个线索。

Jingjing: It has something to do with business. Does that help?

京晶:这跟生意有关系。有帮助吗?

Mark: Did you start your own business?

马克:你是自己创业吗?

Jingjing: Whoa! You got it!

京晶:哇!你说对了!

Mark: I've always thought well of people who have their own companies, no matter how small. What were you doing?

马克:我一直羡慕那些有自己公司的人,不管公司有多小。你在做什么?

Jingjing: It was a media sharing company, combined with a coffee shop.

京晶:那是一家媒体共享公司,和一家咖啡店结合在一起。

Mark: A coffee shop I understand. Tell me about the media sharing part.

马克:咖啡店这个我理解。媒体共享部分怎么回事跟我说说吧。

Jingjing: Ok, so people who came in to the coffee shop could borrow books and DVDs.

京晶:好的,所以来咖啡店的人可以借阅图书和DVD.

Mark: DVDs, I remember those things!

马克:DVD,我还记得那些东西!

Jingjing: Yeah, as media started to move onto more and more electronic formats, we would lend out thumb drives with movies and e-books on them.

京晶:是的,随着媒体开始转向越来越多的电子格式,我们会把装有电影和电子书的拇指驱动器(U盘)借给他们。

Mark: That sounds like a good thing to offer people. Did people pay much for it?

马克:把这些提供给人们听起来真不错,需要花高价获得吗?

Jingjing: It didn't cost us much to operate. It was kind of touch and go. But the media sharing side kept people coming in to the coffee shop.

京晶:运营成本不高,有一定风险。但是媒体共享这一面能让人们不停地来咖啡店。

Mark: So, what happened in the end?

马克:那么,最后结果如何?

Jingjing: Actually, the coffee shop's still there. I'll take you there sometime. I still have 10% ownership, and get a 10% discount.

京晶:事实上,咖啡店还在。我什么时候带你去。我仍然有10%的股权,而且可以打九折哦。

Mark: Well, it sounds like the risk you took to start a business has paid off!

马克:好呀。听起来你的冒险去创业最终还是成功的,值得的。

New words : 习语短语

think well of (someone) admire someone 羡慕(某人)

touch and go 冒险的,有风险的

risky, not always reliable

pay off (no object) 最终还是值得的

be worthwhile in the end

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/479948.html