美国国家公共电台 NPR 特朗普发表独立日演讲 加剧美国分裂(在线收听

It was a Fourth of July for the history books. The country is in the middle of a pandemic that has killed 130,000 Americans. There have been widespread protests focused on police killings and racial injustice. And instead of trying to bring the country together, President Trump used the moment to exacerbate divides. During a speech at the White House, he said the holiday was for, quote, "celebrating our history, our heroes and our heritage." And he said there is no room to question any of that.

今年的美国独立纪念日将载入史册。美国正处于一场已致13万美国人死亡的疫情之中。警察杀戮和种族不平等引发了大规模抗议。但特朗普总统并没有利用这一时刻团结国家,而是加剧了分歧。他在白宫发表的讲话中表示,这个节日是为了“纪念我们的历史、我们的英雄以及我们的遗产”。他说,没有任何空间质疑这些。

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

(录音档案)

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: We will never allow an angry mob to tear down our statues, erase our history, indoctrinate our children or trample on our freedoms.

美国总统唐纳德·特朗普:我们绝不允许愤怒的暴徒拆毁我们的雕像、抹去我们的历史、强行向我们的孩子灌输某种思想或践踏我们的自由。

MARTIN: We've got NPR White House correspondent Ayesha Rascoe with us this morning. Hi, Ayesha.

马丁:今天早上我们NPR新闻驻白宫记者阿伊莎·拉斯科将和我们连线。你好,阿伊莎。

AYESHA RASCOE, BYLINE: Good morning.

阿伊莎·拉斯科连线:早上好。

MARTIN: What stood out to you in the president's remarks?

马丁:总统的演讲有哪些内容令你印象深刻?

RASCOE: Well, in both of the speeches that he gave this weekend, the message was pretty much the same. He positioned himself as this defender of American heritage with a warning to those people he accused of threatening that heritage. This was not a unifying message. He basically claimed that those that talk about the country's history of slavery and the racism that has dogged the U.S. since its founding, that they are, quote, "not interested in justice or in healing." This was all about leaning into cultural divides. He did not explicitly mention the Confederacy, but he has loudly defended Confederate statues and military bases named after Confederate figures. And that is the backdrop for this.

拉斯科:他在周末发表了两场讲话,其传达的信息基本上是相同的。他将自已定位为美国遗产的捍卫者,并向那些被他指控为对遗产构成威胁的人发出警告。这并不是团结的信息。基本上来说,他称那些谈论美国奴隶史和自建国以来一直困扰美国的种族主义的人,“对正义或治愈”漠不关心。这一切都在向文化隔阂倾斜。他没有明确提到南部联盟,但他大声捍卫了南部联盟雕像和以南部联盟人物命名的军事基地。这就是一切的背景。

MARTIN: So Election Day is rapidly approaching, less than four months away. How do you see this kind of messaging fitting in to the Trump campaign's overall strategy?

马丁:现在距离选举日还有不到四个月的时间。你对这种信息与特朗普竞选团队整体策略的吻合情况有何看法?

RASCOE: Trump is making this bet that his messages of defending, quote, "our heritage" and law and order will resonate with enough voters to make a difference. It's a message that appeals to his largely white base who he is hoping will turn out at a level that is enough to get him reelected. This is the message that worked for him in 2016. But, of course, that was a different time without a pandemic. So he's staking his reelection right now not on his handling of the coronavirus, this massive pandemic, but on the politics of grievance and this idea that he will protect his base from a seemingly changing America.

拉斯科:特朗普在打赌,赌他捍卫“我们的遗产”和法律与秩序的言论能引起选民的足够共鸣,从而产生影响。这种言论吸引的是他牢固的白人选民基础,他希望这些选民的投票率足以使他获得连任。对他来说,这样的信息在2016年时效果显著。但当然,那时并没有疫情。因此,他现在并没有将连任的赌注放在他对冠状病毒大流行的处理上,而是放在了政治不满以及他将保护其选民不受看似正在变化的美国的影响这一想法上。

MARTIN: Did he mention the pandemic at all in his remarks over the weekend?

马丁:他有没有在周末的讲话中提及疫情?

RASCOE: Not much, but he did talk about it a bit. And basically his argument is that the administration's strategy is working well. He said the country is testing so much and that's why we're seeing so many cases, which is not accurate. He also said that 99% of cases are, quote, "totally harmless" which is not true and minimizes those who end up in the hospital because of the virus. The fact is the economy is still struggling, cases are surging, so when you see Trump kind of leaning into that culture war strategy, it may be because they don't have a really good story to tell on this big issue that is affecting the whole country, which is the pandemic.

拉斯科:不多,但他确实有谈到一些。基本上来说,他的观点是政府的策略效果良好。他说,美国进行的检测相当多,所以才会有如此多的病例,但这并不准确。他还表示,99%的病例都是“完全无害的”,这并不是事实,而且在尽力淡化有人因冠状病毒而入院治疗这件事。事实是,经济仍举步维艰,病例仍在激增,因此特朗普选择向这种文化战争策略倾斜,可能是因为他们没有妥善处理影响整个美国的大问题——新冠疫情。

MARTIN: NPR White House correspondent Ayesha Rascoe, thank you.

马丁:以上是NPR新闻驻白宫记者阿伊莎·拉斯科带来的报道,谢谢你。

RASCOE: Thank you.

拉斯科:谢谢。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/npr2020/7/507534.html