人物:抗击疫情的一线英雄们(2)(在线收听

DR. ESTHER CHOO, 47 ER Physician and Associate Professor

ESTHER CHOO医生,47岁,急诊内科医生,副教授

Oregon Health & Science University, Portland

俄勒冈健康与科学大学,波特兰

I heard one physician say something like, “I feel like I’m standing at the shore, but instead of a wave coming in, it’s a tsunami, and I cannot run away.”

我听到一位内科医生这样说,“我感觉自己就像站在岸边,但迎面而来的不是海浪,而是海啸,我无法逃跑。”

That’s what it is. It’s bigger than anything that we’ve faced in our lifetimes.

就是这种感觉。它是我们一生中遇到的最严峻的事情。

And we do what we always do: what needs to be done.

我们做了一直在做的事:做需要做的事。

People are having hard discussions with their families about “who takes care of my kids if I’m gone?”

人们在和家人商量“如果我不在了,谁来照顾我的孩子?”

My husband is in radiology, so he’s a little distant from patient care.

我丈夫是放射科的,所以他离护理病人远一点。

But he’s also a physician and goes into the hospital every day. What if. . . ?

但他也是一名医生,每天都去医院。如果……?

We’ve had conversations reviewing our own plan for who’s going to take our kids.

我们商量了一下,万一发生不幸,谁来照顾我们的孩子。

We’re very sensitive about our symptoms. I get a little itch to my nose, and I’m like, seasonal allergies or my first symptom?

我们对自己的症状很敏感。我的鼻子有点痒,我就会想:这是季节性过敏还是我出现了第一个症状?

I do a lot of decontamination. I change clothes before I leave the hospital, wash up to my elbows.

我做了很多消毒工作。离开医院前我会换衣服,连手肘都洗。

When I get home, my 4-year-old thinks it’s a game where she tries to hug me but I run into the bathroom and shut the door to shower from head to toe before I touch her.

回家后,我4岁的孩子以为这是游戏,她想抱我,但我赶紧跑进浴室,关上门,从头洗到脚,之后才敢碰她。

She thinks it’s hilarious. A 4-year-old doesn’t really understand viruses.

她觉得很搞笑。一个4岁的孩子还不太了解病毒。

DR. W. DAVID HARDY, 64 Infectious-Disease Consultant

DAVID HARDY医生,64岁,传染病顾问

It does feel like wartime.We are at war with a virus.

这种感觉确实像战争。我们在和病毒作战。

It’s the unknown that is hard, that is scary, but we control what we can.

未知的才是困难的,可怕的,但是我们可以控制我们所能控制的。

Everyone is concerned about contaminating themselves.

每个人都担心自己被感染。

In the hospital we have to be mindful to inhibit our automatic motions all the time.

在医院里,我们必须时刻注意克制自己的无意识动作。

It’s like working in a surgical suite—but all the time, every day.

其实就像穿着外科手术服工作一样——只不过是每时每刻每天都穿着。

Every time I hear about health-care workers getting infected or even dying, which is not a surprise, it sends shock waves through the staff.

每次我听到有医护人员感染甚至死亡的消息(这并不奇怪),都会在医护人员中引起轩然大波。

It’s so easily transmitted person-to-person that eventually everyone is going to get exposed.

它很容易在人与人之间传播,最终每个人都会接触到它。

The majority will have a mild illness they won’t even recognize.

多数人的病情都很轻,甚至辨别不出来。

What do I tell my loved ones who ask me if it’s okay?

如果我所爱的人问我情况还好吗,我该怎么回答他们?

My parents—they are in their 90s; my dad has diabetes—I have asked them not to leave their house at all, unless it’s for a walk outdoors.

我的父母——他们已经90多岁了;我爸爸有糖尿病——我已经要求他们不要出门,除非是出去散步。

“Don’t be friendly,” I tell them. “This is not the time to say hello.”

“不要客套,”我告诉他们。“现在不是热情问候的时候。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/rwzz/511045.html