读者文摘:猫的二次生命(在线收听

A CAT'S SECOND LIFE

猫的二次生命

Our black-and-gray tabby cat had been missing an unusual three days.

我们那只黑白相间的虎斑猫离奇失踪了三天。

On the fourth day, I found him halfsmashed on the pavement a block from our house.

第四天,我发现猫在离我们家一个街区的人行道上摔得半死。

We drove him home in our trunk.

我们把猫放在后备箱运回家,

We prayed and cried as we said our last goodbye over his backyard grave.

在后院的坟墓前和猫道别,祈祷、哭泣着。

The next morning, I awoke and heard a sound at the door.

第二天早上,我醒来听到门口有声音。

There was our cat, alive and well.

猫还活着。

I said to my husband, "Honey, either we buried the wrong cat,

我对丈夫说:“亲爱的,要么我们埋错了猫,

or we have to rename him Lazarus because he just rose from the dead."

要么我们给猫起名叫拉撒路,因为它死里逃生。”

SUNRISE MELTS AN OLD SALT

被日出融化的经验丰富的水手

On my 24th birthday, I was standing a communications watch on the bridge of the USS George Washington.

在我24岁生日那天,我站在乔治·华盛顿号驱逐舰舰桥上的一个通信监视器前。

The captain was feared by the enlisted men and never spoke to anyone below officer status.

士兵们都怕船长,船长从来没有和低于军官头衔的人说过话。

It was early, and the sun was just appearing over the Mediterranean Sea.

时间还早,太阳刚刚从地中海上空升起。

"Shipmate, get over here!" the captain bellowed. "Yes, sir!" I ran from my alcove into view.

“嘿,到这儿来!”船长大声叫道。“是!”我从壁龛里跑出来,走进这片视野。

"Look at that," he said, pointing to the red glowing sun cutting through the fog over the still, black sea.

“看那个,”船长指向穿越迷雾的红日。

It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

这是我见过的最美的日出。

I'll never forget his inadvertent birthday gift.

我永远不会忘记船长无意间送给我的生日礼物。

IMPATIENT BIG SISTER

不耐烦的大姐姐

After confirming her pregnancy, my friend told her four-year-old daughter about the new brother or sister on the way.

确认自己怀孕后,我的朋友告诉四岁的女儿关于即将到来的弟弟或妹妹。

She made it clear that the baby's arrival would be quite a ways away.

朋友向女儿明确表示,小宝宝出生还得很久。

Her husband came home, and the family had dinner and discussed the good news.

晚上,丈夫回家,全家人一起吃晚饭,讨论着这个好消息。

Finally, it was time for bed, and the little girl, suddenly very distressed, said to her mother,

最后,到了睡觉时间,小女孩突然苦恼地对妈妈说道,

"I know you said it would be a long time until we got our baby, but this is just ridiculous."

“我知道你说过得等很长时间才能有小baby,但这太荒谬了。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/dzwz/513810.html