读者文摘:魔术改变了我的生活(8)(在线收听

"I need each of you to think of a number between one and fifty.

“我需要你们每个人在1到50之间想出一个数字。

When I point to you, call your number out loud so everyone can hear."

当我指着你的时候,把你的号码大声喊出来,这样每个人都能听见。”

"Sixteen."

“16”

"Thirty-two."

“32”

"Nine."

“9”

"Forty-three."

“43”

"Eleven."

“11”

I pause before the last person, a girl standing in the back of the room.

我在最后一个人面前停了下来,一个女孩站在房间的后面。

When the hat flew toward her a minute ago, she jumped up to catch it.

一分钟前帽子飞向她时,她跳起来抓住了帽子。

"What's your name?"

“你叫什么名字?”

"Jessica."

“杰西卡”

"Jessica, before you tell me your number, I just want to say this:

“杰西卡,在你说出你的数字之前,我只想说:

When you go home tonight, you are going to be unable to sleep.

当你今晚回家时,你将无法入眠。

You're going to lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, driving yourself crazy wondering what would have happened if you had named a number other than the number you are about to name."

你会躺在床上,盯着天花板,发了疯的想知道如果你说出的不是你要说出的数字,而是另一个数字,会发生什么。”

The audience laughs. Jessica just listens.

观众笑了。杰西卡只是听着。

"Before you give me your number,

“在你说出你的数字之前,

I want you to know in your heart of hearts that it was a free choice,

我想让你们知道,在你们内心深处,这是一个自由的选择,

that there is no way I could have gotten inside your head to make you give me the number I wanted. Right?"

我不可能进入你的大脑,让你说出我想要的号码。对吗?”

She nods slowly.

她慢慢地点头。

"What number are you thinking of?"

“你在想什么数字?”

"Fourteen."

“14”

Every great illusion has a moment of calm before the build to the end, and right now the room is completely quiet.

每一次想数字的时候都有片刻的平静,而现在房间是完全安静的。

At some point the bartender had started watching and turned off the music. Everyone is still.

在某个时候,酒保已经开始观看并关掉了音乐,每个人都静止了。

"I want to point out that the odds of this working by chance alone are in the trillions.

“我想指出的是,单凭运气就能成功的几率是数万亿。

What are the numbers again? Sixteen, thirty-two, nine, fortythree, eleven, and fourteen, right?"

再说一遍数字,16,32,9,43,11,14,对吧?”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/dzwz/514750.html