时代周刊:外界坐视不理 叙利亚为此付出了多大代价(1)(在线收听

The Price of Inaction in Syria

外界坐视不理 叙利亚为此付出了多大代价

By Angelina Jolie

文/安吉丽娜·朱莉

A few months into the Syrian conflict in 2011, I visited the Jordanian border at night,

2011年,叙利亚冲突爆发不过三五个月,我便星夜兼程去了约旦边境,

where shell-shocked Syrian families were crossing under cover of darkness to avoid sniper fire.

不少仍未从震惊中回过神来的叙利亚家庭正企图在夜色的掩护下通过边境,以躲避狙击手的火力压制。

A medic at the border post told me about a family who’d recently arrived.

边防哨所的一名医护人员对我讲述了最近刚到边境的一个家庭的故事。

They carried with them their wounded 8-year-old son and his amputated leg.

和他们一同赶路的是他们8岁的儿子,小孩受了伤,一条腿已经只剩半截。

His leg had been severed in an airstrike.

他的腿是被空袭炸断的。

He’d begged them to bring it with them as they fled, in the hope that it could somehow be reattached.

他央求父母逃命时带上他的那截断腿,希望将来有一天还能重新接上。

At the time, I hoped that stories like his might force the world’s rich and mighty countries to intervene to stop the violence.

当时,我还抱有一丝希望,以为他那样的故事或许能够激发列位大国强国抱打不平,平定叙利亚的干戈。

But now, nearly a decade later, it strikes me as a metaphor for the Syrian conflict itself:

然而,如今,时间已经过去了将近10年,我突然觉得,小男孩的故事不过是整个叙利亚冲突的一个缩影:

the shattered innocence of a generation of children;

一代孩子的纯真变得支离破碎;

the irreversible damage inflicted upon a secular, multiethnic society;

一个世俗的多民族社会遭受了无可挽回的损失;

and the years of pleas for help that have gone unanswered.

年复一年的求助得不到回应……

I’ve been to the Syrian region some 10 times since the conflict began.

冲突爆发以来,我往返叙利亚地区大概已有10次。

At first, the families I met were hopeful.

起初,我遇到的家庭(对战争结束)还怀抱着些许希望。

They said, “Please, tell people what is happening to us,”

他们说,“请把我们的遭遇告诉大家,”

trusting that once the truth was known, the world would come to their rescue.

他们以为,一旦真相大白,世界就会向他们伸出援手。

But hope curdled into anger and the struggle for survival:

然后,逐渐的,希望变成了愤怒,变成了生存线上的挣扎:

the anger of the father who held his baby up to me, asking, “Is this a terrorist? Is my son a terrorist?”

变成了把孩子抱到我面前质问我,“这是恐怖分子吗?我儿子是恐怖分子吗?”的父亲眼中的怒火,

and the pain of families I met who faced daily choices about which of their children would get scarce food and medicine.

变成了每天都要面临究竟把少得可怜的食物和药分给哪个孩子的家庭的痛苦。

We’ve seen countless images of Syrian children asphyxiated by gas,

我们看过无数有关叙利亚儿童被毒气窒息身亡,

maimed by shrapnel, drowned on the shores of Europe or–as I write–freezing to death in the cold of Syria’s Idlib province.

被弹片炸成残废,在欧洲海岸溺水身亡,又或是,像我的文章所写的那样,在叙利亚伊德利卜省的严寒中被冻死的照片。

None of it has been enough to override the brutal indifference of the competing forces and interests contributing to the destruction of Syria.

却没有一张唤醒无情冷漠,互相较劲的势力及利益方的良知,叙利亚的毁灭却是他们一手造成的。

Far from healing Syria’s wounds, the response of some external powers has been to inflict further injuries, bloodying their hands in the process.

尽管有一些外部势力做出了反应,但他们非但没有治愈,反而加深了叙利亚的伤口,因为他们自己的手也染上了叙利亚人的鲜血。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sdzk/517827.html