纽约时报 同性恋取向是多种因素共同作用的结果(2)(在线收听

Another fear is that evidence that genes play only a partial role could embolden people

另一个担忧是,基因只起到了部分作用的证据可能会助长

who insist being gay is a choice and who advocate tactics like conversion therapy.

那些坚称同性恋取向是选择的结果的人群和提倡开展性取向转变治疗等策略的人群的气焰。

Steven Reilly, a geneticist and postdoctoral researcher who is on the steering committee of the institute’s L.G.B.T.Q. affinity group, Out@Broad said,

遗传学家、博士后研究员史蒂文·赖利是与哈佛-麻省理工学院布洛德研究所志同道合的L.G.B.T.Q.组织 Out@Broad 指导委员会的委员,

“I deeply disagree about publishing this. It seems like something that could easily be misconstrued.”

他表示,“我很不赞成发表这一结果,因为这样的研究结果很容易被大家误解。”

He added, “In a world without any discrimination, understanding human behavior is a noble goal, but we don’t live in that world.”

他还说道,“在没有任何歧视的世界里,理解人类的行为是很崇高的目标,问题是我们并没有生活在那样的世界。”

Discussions between Dr. Neale’s team and colleagues who questioned the research continued for months.

尼尔博士带领的团队和质疑该研究的同事讨论这一问题一连讨论了数月。

Dr. Neale said the team, which included psychologists and sociologists,

尼尔博士表示,该团队——成员除了遗传学家,还有心理学家和社会学家——

used suggestions from those colleagues and outside L.G.B.T.Q. groups to clarify wording and highlight caveats.

为了澄清措辞,强调告诫的内容,还征求了那些同事以及L.G.B.T.Q.圈外人士的建议。

Dr. Neale, who is gay said,

尼尔博士本人就是同性恋,他表示,

“I definitely heard from people who were kind of ‘why do this at all,’ and so there was some resistance there.

“我确实听到了‘完全想不明白为什么来这一出’这样的回应,所以,还是有一些抵触情绪的。

Personally, I’m still concerned that it’s going to be deliberately misused to advance agendas of hate,

就我个人而言,我还是比较担心,这个结果会被恶意利用,被用来加深仇恨,

but I do believe that the sort of proactive way we’ve approached this

但我仍然相信,我们采取的积极主动的应对方式,

and a lot of the community engagement aspects that we’ve tried were important.”

以及我们尝试过的各种社区活动都是非常重要的。”

The moment the study was published online Thursday afternoon,

周四下午,布洛德研究所在线发表研究结果时,

the Broad Institute took the unusual step of posting essays by Dr. Reilly

一反常态地同时发表了赖利博士的论文

and others who raised questions about the ethics, science and social implications of the project.

和对这一研究结果可能带来的伦理、科学和社会影响提出了质疑的人士的论文。

Joe Vitti, a postdoctoral researcher at the Broad Institute, said in one essay, “As a queer person and a geneticist,

该研究所博士后研究员乔·维特在一篇论文中写道,“身为一名同性恋者兼遗传学家,

I struggle to understand the motivations behind a genome-wide association study for non-heterosexual behavior.

我很难理解开展针对非异性恋行为的全基因组关联研究背后的动机。

I have yet to see a compelling argument that the potential benefits of this study outweigh its potential harms.”

目前,我还没有看到能够令人信服地证明这项研究的潜在益处大于潜在危害的论点。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/nysb/520542.html