奥巴马每周电视讲话:美国总统奥巴马告别演讲(18)(在线收听

We weaken those ties when we define some of us as more American than others;

如果我们认为一部分人比其他人更具备自称美国人的资格,

when we write off the whole system as inevitably corrupt,

如果我们默认整个系统的腐败是不可避免的,

and when we sit back and blame the leaders we elect without examining our own role in electing them.

如果我们不详加考量便决定自己的选票,那么我们之间的纽带也会被削弱。

It falls to each of us to be those those anxious, jealous guardians of our democracy;

我们每个人都有责任去敏感警惕地捍卫民主;

to embrace the joyous task we've been given to continually try to improve this great nation of ours.

每个人都应该热情洋溢地投身于发展我们伟大的国家这一使命。

Because for all our outward differences, we, in fact, all share the same proud title, the most important office in a democracy: Citizen.Citizen.

因为我们的外表也许不同,但我们都被授予了同一头衔:公民。

So, you see, that's what our democracy demands. It needs you.

民主需要的就是正是这一点。它需要你的参与。

Not just when there's an election, not just when your own narrow interest is at stake, but over the full span of a lifetime.

你的参与不应仅限于选举,不应仅限于影响你切身利益的事情,你的参与应该贯穿你的一生。

If you're tired of arguing with strangers on the Internet, try talking with one of them in real life.

如果已经厌烦了同互联网上的陌生人争论,那便和现实中的人交流吧;

If something needs fixing, then lace up your shoes and do some organizing.

如果遇到了麻烦,那便系好鞋带去行动吧;

If you're disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself.

如果对自己选出的政客失望,那便抓起纸板、写上你的名字然后亲自参加竞选吧。

Show up. Dive in. Stay at it.

参与进来、投入进去然后坚持到底。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/obamadsjh/525380.html