《远大前程》第3章 给匹普的一次机会(4)(在线收听

Joe,I asked,why don't you ever rebel?

乔,我问道,你为什么不反抗呢?

Well,said Joe, to start with,your sister's clever.

唉,乔说,首先,你姐姐聪明,

And I'm not.And another thing,and this is serious,old boy,when I think of my poor mother's hard life,I'm afraid of not behaving right to a woman.

而我不行。另一方面,这一点是重要的,老伙计,每当想起我可怜的妈妈苦难的生活,我害怕对女人采取不良的行为。

So I'd much rather seem a bit weak with Mrs Joe than shout at her,or hurt her,or hit her.

因为,我必须对乔太太软弱一点儿,不能高声呼喊她、伤害她和打她。

I'm just sorry she scolds you as well,Pip,and hits you with the stick.

我很抱歉,她也责骂你,匹普,用棍子打你,

I wish I could take all the scolding myself.

我希望全部的责骂由我一人承担。

But there it is,Pip.

可是,不现实,匹普。

Just then we heard the sound of a horse on the road.

正在这时,我们听到路上的马蹄声,

Mrs Joe and Uncle Pumblechook were returning from market.

乔夫人和潘波趣舅舅赶集回来了。

The carriage arrived,and in a rush of cold air,they were in the kitchen.

马车一到,冲进一股冷风,他们进了厨房。

Now,said Mrs Joe,excitedly throwing off her cloak,if this boy isn't grateful tonight,he never will be!

嘿,乔夫人说,激动地脱掉她的斗篷,如果这孩子今晚不感恩的话,那他就是一个忘恩负义的家伙!

She's offering the boy a great opportunity,agreed Pumblechook.

她给这孩子提供了一个很好的机会,潘波趣应和着说。

Trying to look grateful,I looked at Joe,making the wordShe?with my lips.

我尽力表现出一副感恩的样子看着乔,随口吐出个字她?

He clearly did not know either.

他也不明白什么意思。

You were speaking of a she?he said Politely to them.

你们正在谈论她?他有礼貌地对他们说。

She is a she,I suppose,Mrs Joe replied crossly.

我想像的,她就是她呗,乔夫人不高兴地回答,你总不能把郝薇香小姐叫他吧,

Unless you call Miss Havisham a he.And even you wouldn't do that.

即使你也不会这样叫吧。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530251.html