《远大前程》第7章 匹普到达伦敦(5)(在线收听

We talked of other things.I asked Herbert what his profession was.

我们谈了些其它事情。我问赫伯特,他的职业是什么。

Oh,working in the City,he said happily.Insuring ships.There's a lot of money in that,you know. Huge profits!

噢,在市里工作,他愉快地说,从事船只保险,这一行有许多钱,你知道,丰厚的利润!

I began to think that Herbert must have greater expectations than I had.

我开始想,赫伯特一定比我有更远大的前程。

Where are your ships at the moment? I asked admiringly.

此刻你的船在哪儿!我羡慕地问。

Oh,I haven't started yet.I'm working in a counting-house just now.

噢,我还没有开展工作,刚才我正在会计室工作。

They don't pay me much,but I'm looking about me for a good opportunity.

他们没有支付更多的钱给我,不过,我找到了挣钱的好机会,

Then I'll make my fortune!

不久,我将成为富翁。

Looking around the room,at the old,worn furniture,I realized that Herbert must be very poor.

看看周围的屋子,古老破旧的家具。我想,赫伯特一定很清贫,

And although he seemed full of hope for the future,somehow I thought he would never be very rich or successful.

尽管他似乎对未来充满希望,不知为什么我想他不会成为富翁,也不会成功的。

He and I spent a happy weekend visiting London together.

我和他一起游览了伦敦,度过了一个愉快的周末。

Although it was all very exciting,I could not avoid noticing the dirt and bad smells and heat,and I compared it sadly with my village home,which now seemed so far away.

虽然这使我很兴奋,但我不能回避去评价这个脏乱、怪味、又闷热的地方,伤心地和我似乎更遥远的乡下现在的家相比较。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530699.html