《远大前程》第8章 拜访文米克先生和贾格斯先生(2)(在线收听

Why? I asked.Is there something strange about her?

为什么?我问,她有奇怪的地方吗?

She's like a wild animal.But Mr Jaggers has trained her!Oh yes!

她像一只野兽。但是,贾格斯先生已经训练了她!噢,是的!

He's stronger,and cleverer, and more complicated than anyone else in London.

在伦敦他比其他任何人强壮、聪明、更精细。

And you know,another strange thing about him, he never locks his doors or windows at night.

你知道,另一件奇怪的事情,晚上,他从不锁门窗。

Isn't he ever robbed?I asked in surprise.

他从来没被盗过?我惊奇地问。

All the thieves in London know where he lives,but none of them would dare to rob him.

伦敦的小偷都知道他住的地方,可是,他们没有一个敢去偷他的东西,

They are all afraid of him, you see.They know he wouldn't rest until he had seen them hanged.

都害怕他,你明白。他们知道,直到他看着他们被绞死,才会休息。

He's a great man, Mr Pip.

他是一个了不起的人物,匹普先生。

Wemmick's house at Walworth was a tiny wooden house in the middle of a garden.

在沃尔鄂斯,文米克的房子是一座小木房,周围是花园,

On top of the roof was a small gun.

屋顶上有一把小猎枪。

We fire the gun at nine oclock every evening,said Wemmick proudly.

我们每天晚上9点开枪,文米克自豪地说,

And behind the house-I call it the Castle-I keep animals,and grow my own vegetables.

在房子后面—我叫它城堡—我养家畜和自己种疏菜。

So,in case of enemy attack, we can always eat our own food.What do you think of it?

因此,万一敌人袭击,我们总能吃上自己的食物,你认为如何?

I congratulated him on his home. He was clearly delighted to show a visitor all his ideas and improvements.

在他家里,我向他祝贺。很显然,他乐意向来访者表白他的主意和进步。

I do everything myself,you know, he said.It helps me forget the office for a while.

每件事情都是我自己做,你知道,他说,它能帮助我暂时忘掉那个事务所。

Would you mind being introduced to the Aged now? He would like it very much.

现在向老人介绍你不反对吧?他会十分喜欢的。

So we entered the Castle, where we found a cheerful old man sitting by the fire.

因此,我们进了这座城堡,发现一位快乐的老人正坐着烤火。

well,aged parent, said Wemmick,how are you?

喂,老父亲,文米克说,你好吗?

Very well, John, replied the old man,nodding happily.

很好,约翰,老人高兴地点点头说。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530701.html