《远大前程》第9章 乔的来访(1)(在线收听

Chapter 9 A visit from Joe

第9章 乔的来访

My dear Pip,Mr Gargery asks me to tell you he will be in London soon,and could visit you at 9 oclock on Tuesday morning,at Mr Herbert Pocket's rooms,

我亲爱的匹普:葛吉瑞先生让我告诉你,他马上到伦敦,

if that is all right with you.He and I talk about you every night,and wonder what you are saying and doing.

如果你方便的话,将在星期二早晨9点钟在赫伯特·朴凯特的房间里拜访你,我和他每天晚上都谈论你,想知道你说的和干的事情。

Best wishes,Biddy.

最美好的祝愿。毕蒂。

P.S.I hope you will not refuse to see him,even though you are a gentleman now. He is such a good man.

又及:即使你现在是一位绅士了,我希望你不会拒绝见他,他真是一个好人。

I received this letter on Monday,and realized that Joe would arrive the next day.

我星期一收到了这封信,知道第二天乔将到来。

I am sorry to confess that I did not look forward to seeing him at all.

很抱歉我得承认,我一点也不想见他。

If I could have kept him away by paying money,I certainly would have paid money.

如果我能给点儿钱把他打发走,我一定付钱。

I knew that his clothes,his manners and uneducated way of speaking would make me ashamed of him.

我知道他的穿戴、举止和没教养的说话方式,会让我羞耻。

Luckily Herbert would not laugh at him.

幸运的是,赫伯特不会嘲笑他。

At nine oclock the next morning I heard Joe's clumsy boots on the stairs,and at last he entered Herbert's rooms.

第二天早晨9点钟,我听到乔的那双笨拙的靴子上楼声,最后,他进了赫伯特的房间。

Pip,how are you,Pip? He shook both my hands together,his good honest face shining with happiness.

匹普,你好吗?匹普?他摇晃着我的两只手,他那友好诚实的脸上流露出愉快的表情。

I'm glad to see you,Joe.Give me your hat.

我见到你很高兴,乔,把帽子给我。

But Joe insisted on holding it carefully in front of him.He was wearing his best suit,which did not fit him at all.

但是,乔坚持小心翼翼地在他面前拿着帽子。穿了一套他最好的衣服,对他一点也不合身。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530704.html