四签名 35福尔摩斯作出判断(4)(在线收听

"Before they come," said Holmes, "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm, and here on his leg. What do you feel?"

福尔摩斯道:"乘他们还没有上来的时候,你用手摸一摸尸身的胳臂,还有他的两条腿。你有什么感觉?"

"The muscles are as hard as a board," I answered.

我答道:"肌肉坚硬得象木头一样。"

"Quite so. They are in a state of extreme contraction, far exceeding the usual rigor mortis.

"正是。是极端强烈的'收缩' ,比普通的'死后强直'还要厉害,

Coupled with this distortion of the face, this Hippocratic smile,

再加上脸部的歪斜和希波克拉底式的微笑,

or 'risus sardonicus,' as the old writers called it, what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?"

或者是像以前作家写的'惨笑',你作何结论呢?"

"Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid," I answered,

我答道:"中了植物性生物硷的剧毒

"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus."

一种类似番木鳖硷,能造成破伤风性症状的毒物而致死的。"

"That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face.

"我一发现他那面部肌肉收缩的情形,就想到是中剧毒的现象。

On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system.

进屋以后我就马上设法弄清这毒物是如何进入体内的。

As you saw, I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp.

你也看见我发现了那根不费力就能扎进或者射入他头部的荆刺。

You observe that the part struck was that which would be turned towards the hole in the ceiling if the man were erect in his chair.

似乎死者当时是直坐在椅上,你看那刺入的地方正对着那天花板的洞。

Now examine this thorn."

你再仔细看看这根荆刺。"

I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern.

我小心地把它拿在手里对着灯光细看。

It was long, sharp, and black, with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it.

是一个长而尖的木馏油黑刺,尖端上有一层发亮的好象是一种干了的胶质的东西。

The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife.

较钝的那一头,是被刀削过的。

"Is that an English thorn?" he asked.

他问道:"是生长在英国的荆刺吗?"

"No, it certainly is not."

"绝对不是的。"

"With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference.

"有了这些资料,你就应当能作出合理的结论来。

But here are the regulars, so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat."

这是主要之点,其余的更容易解决了。"

As he spoke, the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage,

他说话的时节,脚步声已经来到甬道。

and a very stout, portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room.

一个穿灰衣的胖子走进屋内。

He was red-faced, burly, and plethoric,

他的面色发红,身材魁伟,多血的体质,

with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches.

从肿胀的凸眼泡中间露出了一对小小的闪烁的眼睛。

He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto.

后面紧随着一个穿制服的警长和还在那里发抖的塞笛厄斯·舒尔托。

"Here's a business!" he cried in a muffled, husky voice. "Here's a pretty business!

他喊道:"这成什么样子!这成什么样子!

But who are all these? Why, the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!"

这些人都是谁?这屋子里简直热闹得都象养兔场了。"

"I think you must recollect me, Mr. Athelney Jones," said Holmes quietly.

福尔摩斯静静地说道:"埃瑟尔尼·琼斯先生,我想您一定还记得我吧?"

"Why, of course I do!" he wheezed. "It's Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the theorist. Remember you!

他喘息未定地说道:"当然还记得的!你是大理论家歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生。记得您,记得您的!

I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case.

我忘不了那次您怎么向我们演说关于主教门珍宝案的起因和推论结果。

It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance."

您确实把我们引入了正轨,但是您也应当承认,那次主要还是靠了运气好,而不是因为有了正确的指导才破的案。"

"It was a piece of very simple reasoning."

"那是一个很简单很容易理解的案子。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533218.html