四签名 37福尔摩斯作出判断(6)(在线收听

"You see!" said Athelney Jones, reappearing down the steps again; "facts are better than theories, after all.

埃瑟尔尼·琼斯从上边下来,说道:"你看,还是事实胜于理论。

My view of the case is confirmed. There is a trapdoor communicating with the roof, and it is partly open."

我的看法完全证实了:有一个暗门通屋顶,暗门还是半开的。"

"It was I who opened it."

"那暗门是我开开的。"

"Oh, indeed! You did notice it, then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery.

"啊,不错!那么您也看见暗门了。"他好象有些沮丧,

"Well, whoever noticed it, it shows how our gentleman got away. Inspector!"

"好吧,不论是谁发现的,反正是说明了凶手逃走的路径。警长!"

"Yes, sir," from the passage.

甬道里有声音答应道:"有!官长。"

"Ask Mr. Sholto to step this way.

"叫舒尔托先生进来。

Mr. Sholto, it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you.

舒尔托先生,我有责任告诉您,您所要说的任何话全可能对您不利。

I arrest you in the Queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother."

为了您哥哥的死亡,我代表政府逮捕您。"

"There, now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man, throwing out his hands and looking from one to the other of us.

这个可怜的矮小的人,举起手来望着我们两人叫道:"你们看怎么样?我早就料到的。"

"Don't trouble yourself about it, Mr. Sholto," said Holmes;

福尔摩斯说道:"舒尔托先生,不要着急,

"I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge."

我想我是能够为您洗清一切的。"

"Don't promise too much, Mr. Theorist, don't promise too much!" snapped the detective.

这位侦探立即反驳道:"大理论家先生,不要随随便便就答应,

"You may find it a harder matter than you think."

事实恐怕不象您想的那样简单。"

"Not only will I clear him, Mr. Jones,

"琼斯先生,我不只要洗清他,

but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night.

我还要奉赠您昨晚曾到这间屋里来的两个凶手之中的一个人的姓名和特征。

His name, I have every reason to believe, is Jonathan Small.

他的姓名--我有理由认为是叫做琼诺赞·斯茂。

He is a poorly educated man, small, active, with his right leg off, and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side.

他的文化程度很低,个子不大,人很灵活,右腿已断去,装了一只木腿。木腿向里的一面已经磨去了一块。

His left boot has a coarse, square-toed sole, with an iron band round the heel.

他左脚的靴子下面有一块粗糙的方形前掌,后跟上钉着铁掌。

He is a middle-aged man, much sunburned, and has been a convict.

他是个中年人,皮肤晒得很黑,从前还是个囚犯。

These few indications may be of some assistance to you,

有些情况对您是有帮助的

coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. The other man– –"

还有就是不少由他手掌上剥落的皮。那另外的一个--"

"Ah! the other man?" asked Athelney Jones in a sneering voice,

埃瑟尔尼·琼斯仍用着嘲笑的态度问道:"不错,那另外一个人呢?"

but impressed none the less, as I could easily see, by the precision of the other's manner.

但是他看来显然是被另一人的正确性所打动了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533220.html