波希米亚丑闻 10高贵的委托者(8)(在线收听

"You will excuse this mask," continued our strange visitor.

"这面具你们不在意吧,"我们这位陌生的不速之客继续说,

"The august person who employs me wishes his agent to be unknown to you,

"派我来的贵人不愿意让你们知道他派来的代理人是谁,

and I may confess at once that the title by which I have just called myself is not exactly my own."

因此我可以立刻承认我刚才所说的并不是我自己真正的称号。"

"I was aware of it," said Holmes drily.

"这我知道",福尔摩斯冷冰冰地答道。

"The circumstances are of great delicacy,

"情况十分微妙。

and every precaution has to be taken to quench what might grow to be an immense scandal and seriously compromise one of the reigning families of Europe.

我们必须采取一切预防措施,尽力防止使事情发展成一个大丑闻,以免使一个欧洲王族遭到严重损害。

To speak plainly, the matter implicates the great House of Ormstein, hereditary kings of Bohemia."

坦率地说,这件事会使伟大的奥姆斯坦家族--波希米亚世袭国王--受到牵连。"

"I was also aware of that," murmured Holmes, settling himself down in his armchair and closing his eyes.

"这我也知道",福尔摩斯喃喃地说道,随即坐到扶手椅里,阖上了眼睛。

Our visitor glanced with some apparent surprise at the languid,

这时我们的来客不禁对这个人倦怠的体态用一种明显的惊讶目光扫了一眼。

lounging figure of the man who had been no doubt depicted to him as the most incisive reasoner and most energetic agent in Europe.

他过去无疑是被刻画为欧洲分析问题最透彻的推理者和精力最充沛的侦探。

Holmes slowly reopened his eyes and looked impatiently at his gigantic client.

福尔摩斯慢条斯理地重新张开双眼,不耐烦地瞧着他那身躯魁伟的委托人。

"If your Majesty would condescend to state your case," he remarked, "I should be better able to advise you."

"要是陛下肯屈尊将案情阐明,"他说,"那我就会更好地为您效劳。"

The man sprang from his chair and paced up and down the room in uncontrollable agitation.

这人从椅子里猛地站了起来,激动得无以自制地在屋子里踱来踱去。

Then, with a gesture of desperation, he tore the mask from his face and hurled it upon the ground.

接着,他以一种绝望的姿态把脸上的面具扯掉扔到地下。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/535240.html