工程师大拇指案 14向福尔摩斯叙述故事(8)(在线收听

'I quite follow you,' said I.

'我听得很明白,'我说。

'The only point which I could not quite understand was what use you could make of a hydraulic press in excavating fuller's-earth,

'唯一不太明白的一点是,水压机对你挖漂白土有什么用处?

which, as I understand, is dug out like gravel from a pit.'

据我所知,漂白土是象从矿坑里掏沙砾那样挖出来的。'

'Ah!' said he carelessly, 'we have our own process.

'啊,'他不在意地说,'我们有我们自己的方法。

We compress the earth into bricks, so as to remove them without revealing what they are.

我们把土碾压成砖坯,以便在搬运的时候不致于泄露它们是什么东西。

But that is a mere detail. I have taken you fully into my confidence now, Mr. Hatherley,

但那只不过是一些细节。现在我已经向您透露了全部秘密,哈瑟利先生,

and I have shown you how I trust you.' He rose as he spoke.

并且向您表示了我是多么信任您。'他边说边站了起来。

'I shall expect you, then, at Eyford at 11:15.'

'那么,十一点十五分在艾津见。'

'I shall certainly be there.'

'我一定到那里去。'

'And not a word to a soul.' He looked at me with a last, long, questioning gaze,

'绝对不能对任何人说。'最后,他又久久地以怀疑的眼光凝视着我,

and then, pressing my hand in a cold, dank grasp, he hurried from the room.

然后,用他那湿冷的手和我握了一下,就急急忙忙走出了房间。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536903.html