工程师大拇指案 26被砍掉的大拇指(12)(在线收听

I have said that though the floor and ceiling were of iron, the walls were of wood.

我曾经说过,虽然房顶和地板是铁的,墙壁却是木头的。

As I gave a last hurried glance around, I saw a thin line of yellow light between two of the boards,

在我向四周投以最后的一眼时,我看到两块墙板之间透过来一线微弱的黄色亮光,

which broadened and broadened as a small panel was pushed backward.

随着一小块嵌板被往后推去,亮光也变得越来越亮。

For an instant I could hardly believe that here was indeed a door which led away from death.

一刹那间我简直不敢相信这儿确实是一扇死里逃生之门。

The next instant I threw myself through, and lay half-fainting upon the other side.

我立刻就从那里冲了出去,失魂落魄地躺在墙的另一边。

The panel had closed again behind me, but the crash of the lamp,

嵌板在我身后又阖上了,但是那盏灯的碎裂声

and a few moments afterwards the clang of the two slabs of metal, told me how narrow had been my escape.

以及其刻后两块铁板的撞击声表明我是怎样千钧一发地脱了险。

I was recalled to myself by a frantic plucking at my wrist,

"我是被人发狂似地拉扯着我的手腕才苏醒过来的,

and I found myself lying upon the stone floor of a narrow corridor,

我发现我躺在一条狭窄走廊的石头地面上,

while a woman bent over me and tugged at me with her left hand, while she held a candle in her right.

一个女人右手拿着一根蜡烛俯身用她的左手使劲地拉着我。

It was the same good friend whose warning I had so foolishly rejected.

她就是那位好心的朋友,当初我是多么愚蠢地拒不接受她的警告。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/536915.html