绿玉皇冠案 04几近疯癫的委托人(4)(在线收听

"My name," answered our visitor, "is probably familiar to your ears.

"我的名字,"我们的客人回答说,"你们也许是熟悉的。

I am Alexander Holder, of the banking firm of Holder & Stevenson, of Threadneedle Street."

我是针线街霍尔德·史蒂文森银行的亚历山大·霍尔德。"

The name was indeed well known to u

这个名字我们的确很熟悉,

as belonging to the senior partner in the second largest private banking concern in the City of London.

他是伦敦城里第二家最大私人银行的主要合伙人。

What could have happened, then, to bring one of the foremost citizens of London to this most pitiable pass?

究竟是什么事情会使伦敦一位第一流公民落到这样可怜的境地?

We waited, all curiosity, until with another effort he braced himself to tell his story.

我们十分好奇地等待着他再振作起精神来陈述他自己的遭遇。

"I feel that time is of value," said he;

"我觉得时间很宝贵,"他说,

"that is why I hastened here when the police inspector suggested that I should secure your cooperation.

"所以当警厅巡官建议我取得你们的合作时,我就急速赶到这里来了。

I came to Baker Street by the Underground and hurried from there on foot, for the cabs go slowly through this snow.

我是乘坐地铁并且急急忙忙步行来到贝克街的,因为马车在雪地上行驶缓慢。

That is why I was so out of breath, for I am a man who takes very little exercise.

所以我刚才气都喘不过来,这是因为我平时很少锻炼的缘故。

I feel better now, and I will put the facts before you as shortly and yet as clearly as I can.

现在我感觉好一点了,我尽量简单明了地把事实讲给你们听。

It is, of course, well known to you that in a successful banking business

当然,你们都知道得很清楚,一家有成就的银行

as much depends upon our being able to find remunerative investments for our funds

必须依靠善于为资金找到有利的投资,

as upon our increasing our connection and the number of our depositors.

同时还依靠能够增加业务联系和存户的数目。

One of our most lucrative means of laying out money is in the shape of loans, where the security is unimpeachable.

我们投放资金最能获利的方法之一是在绝对可靠的担保之下,以贷款的方式将钱放贷出去。

We have done a good deal in this direction during the last few years,

这几年来我们做了很多笔这种交易,

and there are many noble families to whom we have advanced large sums upon the security of their pictures, libraries, or plate."

许多名门贵族以他们珍藏的名画,图书或金银餐具作为抵押起向我们借贷了大笔款项。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537755.html