绿玉皇冠案 05贵重的抵押物(1)(在线收听

"Yesterday morning I was seated in my office at the bank when a card was brought in to me by one of the clerks.

"昨天上午,我在银行办公室里,我的职员递进一张名片。

I started when I saw the name, for it was that of none other than

我一看上面的名字,吓了一跳,因为这不是别人,

well, perhaps even to you I had better say no more than that it was a name which is a household word all over the earth

他的名字,即使是对于你们,我也最多只能说这是全世界家喻户晓的,

one of the highest, noblest, most exalted names in England.

一个在英国最崇高最尊贵的名字。

I was overwhelmed by the honour and attempted, when he entered, to say so,

他一进来,我深感受宠若惊,正想表达他对我的知遇之恩,

but he plunged at once into business with the air of a man who wishes to hurry quickly through a disagreeable task.

可他却开门见山地谈起正事来,像是急急忙忙要赶紧完成一桩不愉快的任务似的。

'Mr. Holder,' said he, 'I have been informed that you are in the habit of advancing money.'

'霍尔德先生,'他说,'我听说你们常办贷款业务。'

'The firm does so when the security is good,' I answered.

'如果抵押品值钱,本行是办理这种业务的。'我回答说。

'It is absolutely essential to me,' said he, 'that I should have 50,000 pounds at once.

'我迫切需要,'他说,'立刻得到五万英镑。

I could, of course, borrow so trifling a sum ten times over from my friends,

当然,我能够从我的朋友那里借到十倍于这笔微不足道的款项的,

but I much prefer to make it a matter of business and to carry out that business myself.

但是我宁愿把它当一桩正事来办,而且要由我亲自来办。

In my position you can readily understand that it is unwise to place one's self under obligations.'

处在我的地位,你不难明白,随便接受别人的恩惠是不明智的。'

'For how long, may I ask, do you want this sum?' I asked.

'我是否可以问一下,您需要这笔款项多长时间?'我问。

'Next Monday I have a large sum due to me,

'下星期一我可以收回一大笔到期的款项,

and I shall then most certainly repay what you advance, with whatever interest you think it right to charge.

我那时候完全肯定可以归还这笔借款的,利息不论多少,只要你认为合理就行。

But it is very essential to me that the money should be paid at once.'"

但对我来说最关紧要的是必须马上将这笔钱拿到手。'"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537756.html