绿玉皇冠案 07贵重的抵押物(3)(在线收听

"I took the precious case into my hands and looked in some perplexity from it to my illustrious client.

"我把这贵重的盒子拿在手中,有些茫然不知所措地把眼光从盒子转向这位高贵的委托人。

'You doubt its value?' he asked.

'你怀疑它的价值吗?'他问。

'Not at all. I only doubt...'

'一点儿也不。我只是拿不准...'

'The propriety of my leaving it. You may set your mind at rest about that.

'至于我将它留在这里是否适当,这你尽可放心。

I should not dream of doing so were it not absolutely certain that I should be able in four days to reclaim it.

如果我不是绝对有把握在四天之内把它赎回的话,我连做梦也不会想到这样做的。

It is a pure matter of form. Is the security sufficient?' 'Ample.'

这纯粹是一种形式而已。这件抵押起够吗?''太够了。'

'You understand, Mr. Holder, that I am giving you a strong proof of the confidence which I have in you,

'霍尔德先生,你要明白,我这样做充分证明我对你的信任,

founded upon all that I have heard of you.

根据我听到的有关你的一切。

I rely upon you not only to be discreet and to refrain from all gossip upon the matter but,

我指望于你的不仅仅是小心谨慎,而且避免因此而产生的任何流言蜚语,

above all, to preserve this coronet with every possible precaution

最首要的还是要对保藏这顶皇冠采取一切可能的防范措施,

because I need not say that a great public scandal would be caused if any harm were to befall it.

因为如果它受到任何损坏,不言而喻,就会造成一起众目睽睽的大丑闻。

Any injury to it would be almost as serious as its complete loss,

对它的任何损坏也几乎和整个丢失一样严重,

for there are no beryls in the world to match these, and it would be impossible to replace them.

因为这些绿玉是举世无双的,要想替换它们也是不可能的。

I leave it with you, however, with every confidence, and I shall call for it in person on Monday morning.'"

然而我现在无限信赖地把它留在你这里,星期一上午我将亲自前来取回。'"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537758.html