《简·爱》 Chapter 11 第十一章(15)(在线收听

No feature in the scene was extraordinary, but all was pleasing.

这番景色并无出奇之外,但一切都显得赏心悦目。

When I turned from it and repassed the trap-door, I could scarcely see my way down the ladder.

当我转过身,再次经过活动天窗时,我几乎看不清下扶梯的路了。

The attic seemed black as a vault compared with that arch of blue air to which I had been looking up,

同我刚才抬头观望的蓝色苍穹相比,同我兴致勃勃地俯瞰过,

and to that sunlit scene of grove, pasture, and green hill, of which the hall was the centre,

以桑菲尔德府为核心展开的阳光照耀下的树林、牧场和绿色小山的景致相比,

and over which I had been gazing with delight.

这阁楼便犹如墓穴一般黑了。

Mrs. Fairfax stayed behind a moment to fasten the trap-door.

费尔法克斯太太比我晚走一会儿,拴上活动天窗。

I, by drift of groping, found the outlet from the attic, and proceeded to descend the narrow garret staircase.

我摸索着找到了顶楼的出口,并爬下狭窄顶楼的扶梯。

I lingered in the long passage to which this led, separating the front and back rooms of the third storey:

我在楼梯口长长的过道上踯躅,这条过道把三楼的前房与后房隔开,

narrow, low, and dim, with only one little window at the far end, and looking,

又窄、又低、又暗,仅在远远的尽头有一扇小窗,

with its two rows of small black doors all shut, like a corridor in some Bluebeard's castle.

两排黑色的小门全都关着,活像蓝胡子城堡里的一条走廊。

While I paced softly on, the last sound I expected to hear in so still a region, a laugh, struck my ear.

我正轻轻地缓步往前时,万万没有料到在这个静悄悄的地方,竟然听见了一阵笑声。

It was a curious laugh; distinct, formal, mirthless.

这笑声很古怪,清晰、拘谨,悲哀。

I stopped. the sound ceased, only for an instant; it began again, louder.

我停下步来,这声音也停止了。刹那间以后,笑声重又响起,声音越来越大。

For at first, though distinct, it was very low.

不依才起来时虽然清晰却很低沉。

It passed off in a clamorous peal that seemed to wake an echo in every lonely chamber.

这笑声震耳欲聋般地响了一阵以后便停止了,其声音之大足可以在每间孤寂的房子里引起回声。

Though it originated but in one, and I could have pointed out the door whence the accents issued.

尽管这声音不过来自一个房间,但我完全能指出是从哪扇门传出来的。

"Mrs. Fairfax!" I called out, for I now heard her descending the great stairs.

“费尔法克斯太太?”我大声叫道,因为这时正听见她走下顶楼的楼梯。

"Did you hear that loud laugh? Who is it?"

“你听见响亮的笑声了吗?那是谁呀?”

"Some of the servants, very likely." she answered: "perhaps Grace Poole."

“很可能是些仆人,”她回答说,“也许是格雷斯.普尔。”

"Did you hear it?" I again inquired.

“你听到了吗?”我又问。

Yes, plainly. I often hear her. She sews in one of these rooms.

听到了,很清楚。我常常听到她,她在这儿的一间房子里做针线活,

Sometimes Leah is with her. They are frequently noisy together.

有时莉娅也在,这两个人在一块总是闹闹嚷嚷的。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549615.html